Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialDrHops

Reaction score
This is my first time making a starter and also first time using this yeast. The manufacture date is 5 months old. I used 1/3 cup of DME and 2 cups water and stored in 1/2 gallon growler. On Wednesday night, I smacked the nutrient pack and let sit overnight. Thursday morning there was no swelling. By 9:30am I had pitched the yeast into the starter and it's stored at 67 degrees. It's now Saturday afternoon and the most activity I see in airlock is a bubble every 15-20 seconds. No krausen.

I called the homebrew shop and they said this type of yeast (and all english yeast) are notoriously slow and that this is normal.

My main question has become, when can I brew and how to store/re-use yeast? Ideally I'll brew Tuesday. So can I keep starter at 67 degrees until Tuesday, or when activity stops, simply put in refrigerator and take out on brew morning. Then bring to room temp? Or do I have to do anything else like shake the starter?

Latest posts

Back