Wyeast 1056 fermented at 78 deg. for a day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edin88

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title suggests, this question is about 1056 fermentation temp. I couldn't cool down my DIPA below 78 so I just pitched my 2L, well oxygenated started into the carboy. I checked in the morning and the fermentation looked real good. bubbling, great hop aromas comin out, everything was peachy. but my temp reading of the fermenting wort was 78 deg...later that day I put it in a swamp cooler and this morning I checked and the temp was 68.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Should i expect off flavors at such a high temp if it was only for 24 hours? I can keep it at 68 for the rest of the fermentation, maybe even lower. Is that good enough for letting the yeast finish clean or do I need to do something else OR am i just gonna get a real estery DIPA?

Thanks!
-Edin

I made a batch of Moose Drool clone using WLP002, and did the same thing. The next day my ferm temp was 76F, and I didn't have a swamp cooler (I do now). The second day it was down below 70. I just bottled it last week and the sample I tasted didn't have any detectable off-flavors.

I got lucky. Maybe you will too. Let us know how it turns out.

That's good to know. I had a breakfast stout do something similar with 1056 yeast, but i was less nervous about it with a stout than an DIPA

1056 is a very forgiving strain so you might be ok. i'd be more worried about fusels than esters tho. i recently had a robust porter get up to about 80 during ferment with S-05 (basically the same) and has no detectable off-flavors if that helps

in the future, you should always get your wort at or below ferment temp before pitching, even if it takes over night

i recently had a robust porter get up to about 80 during ferment with S-05 (basically the same) and has no detectable off-flavors if that helps

Was this by your own personal assessment, or did you have this beer judged at competition?

Both. Obviously, it's a little different when its your own beer, but I'm BJCP anyway

At what point in the fermentation did it get up to 80F? I'm trying to understand how you got zero off-flavors at that temperature. In my experience, US-05 is a solventy/fruit salad disaster if it gets above 75F during active ferm.

Thanks for your insight.

At what point in the fermentation did it get up to 80F?

honestly I have no idea since I was away when it did. I pitched at night around 50F in a tub of water, the next morning it was up to 66F and I added some ice to reduce it to about 62F then went out of town. When I came back 2 nites later it was about 82F and fermentation was winding down. I knew it was gunna get hot so I overpitched a bit on slurry from previous batch, so that probably helped

The most important time to keep temps low is the first couple days after pitching the yeast. That's probably why your beer isn't solventy as hell. I bet if you pitched the yeast at 80F, it'd be a different story. But maybe not...

Latest posts

Back