Wyders Dry Raspberry Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend wants me to help her brew a raspberry cider similar to Wyders Dry Raspberry. I've only made one cider before, so I'm looking for a little direction.

My basic plan was to ferment 5 gallons of store bought apple juice with some champagne yeast and then rack onto some frozen raspberries for a week or two. Any tips, advice or even a clone recipe would be much appreciated, thanks!

http://www.wyders.com/raspberry-cider/

Hi all,

My girlfriend wants me to help her brew a raspberry cider similar to Wyders Dry Raspberry. I've only made one cider before, so I'm looking for a little direction.

My basic plan was to ferment 5 gallons of store bought apple juice with some champagne yeast and then rack onto some frozen raspberries for a week or two. Any tips, advice or even a clone recipe would be much appreciated, thanks!

http://www.wyders.com/raspberry-cider/

This is some good stuff! I want to make a clone myself. Going to try the same technique you outlined. 1 pound raspberries per gallon is what I'm thinking. I plan on using Safale S-05 instead of champagne yeast though. Not going to rack on to the raspberries till SG is around 1.004

Sounds like a plan even as little as 1 kilo per 5 gallons may be enough. That what my gallon batch of berry cider would be if scaled up

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unless that cider is really dry, you might want to try a yeast with lower attenuation. There is a thread stickied at the top of this cider forum with the results of many yeast tests that may be helpful.

That's a good point regarding the yeast. I've only tried this particular cider once before and don't drink much cider to begin with, so I'm having trouble deciding what I want the FG to be. Does anyone who has had Wyder's Raspberry care to comment on how dry it actually is? Thanks again!

That's a good point regarding the yeast. I've only tried this particular cider once before and don't drink much cider to begin with, so I'm having trouble deciding what I want the FG to be. Does anyone who has had Wyder's Raspberry care to comment on how dry it actually is? Thanks again!

Its pretty dry. I would guess under 1.010 for sure, probably even lower. I've only had it once though need to try again :)

So I tried a bottle of this last night with my girlfriend. It's definitely on the dry side. The two things she likes about this particular cider is the dryness and the fact it tastes strongly of raspberries and not so much apple. I think I'm gonna go with a clean ale yeast and 5 lbs of frozen raspberries in the secondary. Thoughts?

So I tried a bottle of this last night with my girlfriend. It's definitely on the dry side. The two things she likes about this particular cider is the dryness and the fact it tastes strongly of raspberries and not so much apple. I think I'm gonna go with a clean ale yeast and 5 lbs of frozen raspberries in the secondary. Thoughts?

Sounds like my plan, let us know your results. I'm planning on safale s05. Gonna start a batch next pay period, I'll check in with results as well.

Just a quick update, fermented 5 gallons of Indian Summer apple juice with a pack of Nottingham. It seemed to get stuck around 1.016 after two weeks. Pitched a pack of Red Star champagne yeast and that dropped it down to 1.006. Racked onto 2.5 lbs of frozen raspberries. Gonna leave it for a week and then see how it tastes!

I was curious how this turned out. My girlfriend likes this very much and I'm wanting to try to clone the Wyder's as well. Did this come out close or were there some changes you would make?

We love dry and raspberry.

My go-to recipe is:

6- 96oz bottles of Sam's Club apple juice.
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
pitch at 65* and wait 2 weeks

Then pour 1 lb per gallon of frozen berries (I have a garden full that we freeze) along with another bottle of 96oz AJ into a secondary. Wait till the froze berries are room temo. I rack the fermented AJ on top.

Wait 1-2 more weeks and keg. I prime with a final bottle of AJ. That is a total of 6 gallons which fills my keg and gets me some traveling bottles.

This finishes about 1.010, which seems to be perfect. 1.005 to 1.015 is the goal. This has a lot of raspberry flavor.

Quick update on this recipe. We ended up letting the cider ferment out completely dry at 1.000. We added 4 cups of apple juice concentrate and 4 oz of Brewers Best Raspberry flavoring to the keg and force carbed. I wouldn't say it tastes too much like Wyders, but it is still very good. It took 1st place in the Cider category (23 entries total) at the Charlie Orr Memorial Homebrew competition. Hope this helps!

I recently tried some of this and it was very good. I am going to try making this at home. I am thinking I will do 2 pounds of ground up frozen raspberries and see how that does.

My go-to recipe is:

Then pour 1 lb per gallon of frozen berries (I have a garden full that we freeze) along with another bottle of 96oz AJ into a secondary. Wait till the froze berries are room temo. I rack the fermented AJ on top.

Wait 1-2 more weeks and keg. I prime with a final bottle of AJ. That is a total of 6 gallons which fills my keg and gets me some traveling bottles.

This finishes about 1.010, which seems to be perfect. 1.005 to 1.015 is the goal. This has a lot of raspberry flavor.

How "fizzy" would you say 1.01 makes it? When you say "keg" do you mean bottle it?

My go-to recipe is:

How "fizzy" does this make it?

Back