Wy2112 california common rye beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreigngreg

Reaction score
Im thinking to do a rye beer but I do not have ale fermenting temperatures at the moment (yay, spring). So I was thinking to do a california-common rye.

California Rye
All Grain: 50l
ABV: 5,8%
OG: 1.063 FG: 1.014
IBUs: 44
Color: 11 SRM

Mash @ 63°C

Grist:
9Kg Pale ale 66%
4Kg Rye 29%
0.5Kg CaraAroma 3.6%
0.2Kg FlakedBarley 1.4%

Hops
80g Northern Brewer @ 60mins
80g Willamette @ 15mins
80g Willamette @ 1 min

Yeast 2112 California

Any thoughts?

Would love to get some feedback!

I don't know your system, but i hope you're adding in some rice hulls with that much rye, a rest might be a good idea as well.

Id use some northern brewer late for a real Cali common taste, but with the rye it's not really to style anyway so whatever floats your boat.

Im thinking to do a rye beer but I do not have ale fermenting temperatures at the moment (yay, spring). So I was thinking to do a california-common rye.

California Rye
All Grain: 50l
ABV: 5,8%
OG: 1.063 FG: 1.014
IBUs: 44
Color: 11 SRM

Mash @ 63°C

Grist:
9Kg Pale ale 66%
4Kg Rye 29%
0.5Kg CaraAroma 3.6%
0.2Kg FlakedBarley 1.4%

Hops
80g Northern Brewer @ 60mins
80g Willamette @ 15mins
80g Willamette @ 1 min

Yeast 2112 California

Any thoughts?

Would love to get some feedback!
If that yeast is any where near as good as the album 2112, your brew will Rock!

With that much rye you will have a very viscous, motor-oil like consistency to the beer. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just be ready for it. I would encourage you to use rice hulls too and maybe do a beta-glucan rest. Please keep us posted, I'd love to see how this turns out

I have had really good success with White Labs 810, your Wyeast version appears to be a similar or perhaps the same strain (I just looked it up).

Latest posts

Back