WY1007 made a mess of my kitchen, now what?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCityBaller

Reaction score
So I think I know the answer to this question, but I am hoping for some reassurance and group therapy...

Last night I whipped up a starter for a batch of heffeweizen this weekend using WY1007 German Ale. I did a 1600 mL (1 g DME/mL) starter in a 2 liter flask. I have never had an issue with excessive krausen before, even with a 1800 mL starter, so I thought I was good...

BOY WAS I WRONG!

I woke up this morning to my foam stopper 8" from the flask and yeasty foam all over the counter and my stir plate, with more pouring out of the flask. Wow these German buggers can eat! So I soaked a rag in sanitizer solution and wiped up the neck/mouth of the flask with that. Then I sanitized a Ziploc bag and make a sudo-cover for the flask and just let it go to town.

I guess my question is, should I be worried about infection? Everything was sanitized, including the stopper, flask, ziploc, and rag. I have a feeling with everything forcing it's way out of the flask, not much was getting in. Any reason to be worried or should I be good to go?

Any input is helpful, thanks!

i have pitched yeast after a similar experience. i wouldn't stress on it too much.

Back