Wwyb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I’m clearing out some hops and grains that are starting to get old and could use a little help converting a few random ingredients into a brew, perhaps a tasty IPA of some sort?

Giving the following ingredients, What Would You Brew?

Grains
Several lbs of 2 row
Several lbs of Maris Otter
1 lb belgin pils
10oz Crystal malt 120
9 oz light munich malt
1.5 oz roasted barley
12.5 oz rolled oats
4 oz flaked wheat

Hops:
1.5 oz Mosaic
3.5 oz Crystal
0.5 oz Bravo
0.5 oz Sterling
0.5 oz Cascade
1.5 oz Citra
0.25 oz Chinook
0.50 oz Magnum
0.50 oz MOTUEKA
6.5 oz centennial

Other:
1 oz coriander seeds
8 oz lactose sugar
Some orange peel
some candied ginger root

Chosen recipe will have batch named after them

Gee, I thought WWYB meant What Would Yooper Brew. As for your recipe, it looks like you have all the ingredients for a classic ABOIPA - an Anglo Belgian Oatmeal IPA.

I really think you could use all of your grains without any issues. As for hops, I would say pick a theme and use the ones that fit. Citrus - cascade, citra. Spicy - chinook, magnum. Floral - bravo, centennial. Or mix and match whatever sounds interesting. For the rest, there's probably room for everything except maybe the candied ginger root. That's just wierd.

You can call it Kitchen Sink Ale since it's pretty much all in there *including* the kitchen sink. I'll be curious to see what you do. Keep us posted.

I would do an IPA with all the base malts and the Munich. The centennial and citra would probably be pretty good, maybe use the mosaic as well

I'm thinking: use all the grains and make either a dark lager or an amber. Brewer's choice on the hops. Leave the Corriander, orange peel, and lactose out.

I'm thinking with those grains and those hops, you've got the makings of a big and complex barley wine. Just leave all the "other stuff" out.

If "several" lbs means six or more then two beers are in order. I would use the 2-row, pils, and a little Munich for one batch and hop it up real good. Go for pale, dry and outrageously hoppy. Make the other with MO, flaked whatever, and a little roasted barley for color. Lightly hopped for bittering only. Make it malty and soft, maybe with a low attenuating yeast.

They could be like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, or Holmes and Watson. One could be fermented crisp and clean and the other sweet and fruity. One fully carbonated and the other nearly flat.

Back