• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2hennepin6

Reaction score
I have a good local malt house (Valley Malt).

I am picking up a 50 lb bag from them next week.

Hence, looking for a mill and considering one of Morebeer's 2 rollers but throwing out this post for used option (better deal/better mill?)

I am in Southern Vermont. Let me know what you've got. Thanks. Happy 4th.

Hard to beat 80% mash efficiency with a $20 Corona Mill...

Thank you, I will check out a Corona. My friend and I had one 20 years ago, brewing in college. I tend to nickel and dime myself to death especially with brewing. Pennywise and pound foolish.

I tend to nickel and dime myself to death especially with brewing. Pennywise and pound foolish.

Yup me too. :thumbsup:

You can find them in the $20-30 range. I used a homer bucket and some scrap 2x4 to make one like in the thread I linked to above.
I set it deep enough into the bucket so that I can put the lid back on. I cut a hole in the lid so that only the hopper sticks out. Really controls
the dust.

I drive it with a harbor freight drill: 1/2 in. Variable Speed Reversible Drill

I cut the bottom out of an old, cracked Arrowhead 5g water bottle and invert it in the little metal hopper that comes with it to
get a larger hopper. Will hold the entire grain bill with no trouble.

It'll go thru 12lbs of grain in just a minute or two.

Edit to add:

You do need to do a few minor mods to make it more effective... google it and you can see... simple things like adding washers, replacing hand crank w/ a bolt so you can drive it with a socket on a drill, etc..

Last edited:
I've been happy with my cereal killer. I think I've had it for 4 years. For the price ($89), it works well for me. Morebeer's 2-roller offerings look just as good or better.

I use an Evil Twin, 7# hopper, and my 11-year old. Just kidding (not really), he uses our electric drill. Look, it keeps him off the TV/Computer/Phone/Tablet.

It was $100 at my LHBS and I make sure I check it's adjustment before I grind grain. It's not guaranteed to hold grind size after a batch, but, meh, it's a two minute adjustment and then it powers on. No complaints.

Please, don't buy a Corona. I had one in the 1980s. It's very slow. Readjusting for various malts is a pain because there are no marks to indicate the gap. Nearly every LHBS has a better and free-to-use mill. I do advocate buying your own mill for consistency and predictability, but the Corona is antithetical to these goals.

It's very slow.

Eh, it's no speed demon, but it's quicker than driving to the LHBS for over-priced, poorly-crushed grain (YMMV). With a decent drill I can get thru 12ish lbs in a couple of minutes...

Readjusting for various malts is a pain because there are no marks to indicate the gap.

This is true. Which is why you set it and forget it. I BIAB, so super fine crush doesn't worry me. I tighten the plates down to just almost too tight for them to turn against each other... They clatter together when no grain is going through. Took maybe 5-10 minutes of fiddling at the beginning and that was it. Now, this might not be suitable for "regular" mash tuns, I guess. Maybe too much flour and husks that are too shredded. But there's no need to change anything for barley, wheat, rye, etc. For BIAB the tight setting works just fine. Been using mine for years and feel no need to upgrade to a roller miller.

Nearly every LHBS has a better and free-to-use mill.

Ha! Better? Perhaps... Free to use? Probably.... Will they let you adjust the mill gap? Will they let you double crush? That 2nd one is what pushed me to get my own mill. The LHBS crush was just meh, so I compensated by running the grain through twice.... Until they changed their policy and forbid double crushing, and were rude @-holes about it, to boot. Oops! I now have my own mill station and buy bulk grains from some place else. Major (and consistent!) efficiency boost just switching to my own crush.

I do advocate buying your own mill for consistency and predictability, but the Corona is antithetical to these goals.

I disagree with your assessment of the corona. Now if offered a choice between a free Monster Mill/Cereal Crusher/other-3-rolller-mill and a free Corona?

No competition... Hello free Roller Mill! I'm not trying to assert that the corona is a "superior" option. I just throwing out that for $25 it's a viable budget option that can get the job done, especially if you BIAB...

Perhaps if I brewed more often, or used a cooler (or other "normal") mash-tun, I'd be singing a different tune. But I've been quite satisfied w/ muh-muh-muh-My Corona for many years now.

LMAO, I've thrown away a few corona mills over the years that I've ended up with from finding them flipping houses. I learned back in the 90s how terrible they are for crushing grain especially their ability to create a stuck mash. I suggest you do more research before wasting any money on a corona mill.

Either have your LHBS crush your grain fresh or spend the money on a decent 3 roller mill. Right now More Beer has the 3 roller Mighty Mill for $179. If you are serious about brewing make the investment in a good mill. It will last many years and your resulting brews will improve as a result. My LHBS uses a Mighty Mill and they crush a boat load of grain with it. There are others, the monster mill 3 and more. But do yourself a favor and get a good 3 roller mill.

Please, don't buy a Corona. I had one in the 1980s. It's very slow. Readjusting for various malts is a pain because there are no marks to indicate the gap. Nearly every LHBS has a better and free-to-use mill. I do advocate buying your own mill for consistency and predictability, but the Corona is antithetical to these goals.
Turns Coronas are pretty pricey these days, new anyway. Riding on the infamy of it's namesake virus? I'm going with a $99 2 roller. Thanks for all the input

Latest posts

Back