Wow!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I just bought a 4 pack of 16oz cans of Helle's from a local Wines and more and it was 20 bucks. The brewery is somewhat local, so it's not like they have a huge shipping cost. Are you freaking kidding me? And that was not a rarity there. I passed at least a half dozen locally brewed beers that were 20 bucks or more for 4 16oz cans. I gotta learn to brew a Helles soon. I dig the style, 20 bucks for 4 beers seems a bit excessive to me. Ok, Rant off!!!! LOL

Pretty much all craft beers are $$ to buy.

Around here they are VERY proud of the local MN wines too.

I just bought a 4 pack of 16oz cans of Helle's from a local Wines and more and it was 20 bucks. The brewery is somewhat local, so it's not like they have a huge shipping cost. Are you freaking kidding me? And that was not a rarity there. I passed at least a half dozen locally brewed beers that were 20 bucks or more for 4 16oz cans. I gotta learn to brew a Helles soon. I dig the style, 20 bucks for 4 beers seems a bit excessive to me. Ok, Rant off!!!! LOL
Yup, here in W. MA, same thing. I mean, I do like to support the locals, especially one place that does a really nice ESB instead of the never-ending long list of double imperial hop madness. But dang.

Oh, yeah. I'm not sure who is setting prices, but their head got a wobble. There's a brewery just north of the DFW metroplex - 903 Brewers. They have some modestly priced beers, but at the Total Wine & More or HEB, I've seen 12 oz 4 packs go for $20 - $30. I don't care if you brewed it using Kate Upton's bath water, I'm ain't buying it.

PS Helles is pretty easy. Just keep it simple.

yeah its outrageous.
i wont pay for those stupid 4 packs.

and yes helles is an easy one. yuo could even warm ferment it with 34/70 without the need for lager temps. although i like my cold 34/70 better im sure with proper time it would be fine.

RIGHT! I gotta tell ya Helles is a favorite style.. It is fairly easy to brew a good one. Choose your yeast wisely and nail the water profile and ferment temps and you'll crush this style. Really fairly easy since its such a malt forward beer.

Cheers
Jay

FWIW, I support the "locals" by buying 'factory direct'. 16 oz 4 packs are often $12. In some place(s), it's $7 six packs; $15 mixed 12 packs; $24 cases (12 oz bottles).

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Just paid $12.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz Weihenstephaner Helles at Whole Foods. It was excellent and worth it.
those 16 oz weihenstephaners are on sale most of the time at my local international (wait that doesn't make sense) food market for $1.99 each along with a half dozen other german imports that are all .99 to 1.99 each 16 oz can . they are hard to pass up .

i almost always grab a few in case the pipeline ever runs dry or is threatening to.

Just paid $12.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz Weihenstephaner Helles at Whole Foods. It was excellent and worth it.

those 16 oz weihenstephaners are on sale most of the time at my local international (wait that doesn't make sense) food market for $1.99 each along with a half dozen other german imports that are all .99 to 1.99 each 16 oz can . they are hard to pass up .

i almost always grab a few in case the pipeline ever runs dry or is threatening to.

um, where!?

I stopped the craft beer buying because of the $$ and am now buying good bourbon instead, beets the hell out of 60$ barrel aged RIS's. I do make a 10%+ barrel aged RIS so I'm not missing out. Residence time in my brewery costs me nothing!

FWIW, I support the "locals" by buying 'factory direct'. 16 oz 4 packs are often $12. In some place(s), it's $7 six packs; $15 mixed 12 packs; $24 cases (12 oz bottles).

As always, YMMV.
This, 100% This! The brewery certainly isn’t getting $20 for that 6-pack, in fact many are losing money for every pack that gets sold at a store instead of out of the cooler in the taproom (or even better, from the tap). The store obviously gets its taste, but the distributors not only get a cut, but determine when and where those 4-packs get placed. So, you’re likely not getting that beer at its prime. Visit your local brewery, even if it’s just to grab stuff to go. They REALLY need your support

Inflation is an insidious economic disease. US Prices will continue to climb as the cost of material inputs, labor and transportation increase. Too much $ chasing too few goods. I ordered a 12 oz glass of Shiner Bock on tap last night. It was $8.50.

I know for sure less than 5 years ago a pint of Helles from the tap at my local Lager only brewery was just $5. So to see $5 for a pint can at the liquor store is so sad.

Last edited:
This, 100% This! The brewery certainly isn’t getting $20 for that 6-pack, in fact many are losing money for every pack that gets sold at a store instead of out of the cooler in the taproom (or even better, from the tap). The store obviously gets its taste, but the distributors not only get a cut, but determine when and where those 4-packs get placed. So, you’re likely not getting that beer at its prime. Visit your local brewery, even if it’s just to grab stuff to go. They REALLY need your support
Unfortunately the closest "local" brewery that has beer I like is about 2 hours a way. So, with that said, I will continue to either make my own or pay crazy high prizes for ones I like at the local Wines and More.

Funny thing though, there is a brewery about 2 hours away in Sacramento. I had their beer at a golf course in Auburn that I liked. The local Wines and More started carrying it at 20.00 for a twelve pack. And this is an IPA, so there are more ingredients in it than a Helles if I read correctly. So, it is not out of the relm to say that some of these breweries are jacking things up just a bit. Just saying.

I guess I'm lucky that the closest Total Wine and More is over an hour away, so I'm neither tempted to shop there nor shocked by the prices. But my local grocery stores carry a good selection of local beers and wines at better prices.

Last edited:
um, where!?
netcost markets brighton beach
the local delis in that area all sell them cold for 1 to 2 $ also

some of the 16 oz beers they sell for less than 2$

paulaner radler pils munchner lager hefewizen
bitburger
burgdorf grapefruit (yuck)
shoefenhoeffer grapefruit ( yum)
berliner blond, bock, hefeweizen pilsner and helles lager
sonderklasse dunkel
krombacher hell = this beer is really good .
konig pilsner
kostritzer schwartzbier

they are regularly 2.49 or 2.99 cold but they always sell them warm in the middle of the isles on sale for .99 or 1.49 each

its a great way to load up the shelves in a beer fridge or extra space in a kegerator

some of them are very good beer. i dont like wheats but they always have a lot of wheats for 99.

Ok folks, thread has drifted too much into politics (discussion of inflation and causes) for not being in the "Debate" forum. All of the most recent posts have been deleted and the thread locked.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back