Would you order liquid yeast if high temps are 95?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
When I order from Austin Homebrew, the package is delivered the day after they ship it. That being the case, am I ok ordering liquid yeast - with a cold pack - if high temp will be 95?

95 is OK for yeast. The problem is the temperature it gets to in the truck.

95 degree day temp - I wouldn't do it.

If you do go that route, you will probably get some live yeast, but will also have a lot of dead yeast - Make a big starter.

It would depend on how far it's traveling and how long it will sit in your mailbox but I would avoid it at all costs.

What specific type of yeast are you looking for?

I do not order yeast in the summertime. I would not order yeast if the high was 95º.

Agreed. I always buy local during the summer even if it means I need to make a slightly bigger starter because the yeast isn't as viable as it might be from one of the big online retailers.

I'm in the camp of not buying yeast online in summer. I will buy from my lhbs when I can anyway, but it's 1/2 hour alway. So either I buy multiples when there or try and reuse yeast over summer.

Back