Would this even work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
So I was playing around on brewmasterswarehouse.com and they have a recipe creator. You select the style you are going for and it put the parameters (ibu, srm, gravity range) in and you select the ingredients. I have never made a recipe before but I was just messin around and selected APA and then added ingredients until it said that i was in the right area. Im wondering if im even on the right track with it (not that i expect to be) or if it would even taste like a pale ale. Thanks!

7 lbs. 2 Row Brewers Malt
1.5 lbs 2 Row Caramel 40
1 lb Flaked Barley
1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
1 oz Hallertau (30 min)
1 oz Cascade (15 min)
1 oz Cascade (5 min)

You might be close to the ranges of the OG and IBU numbers for the style but there's more to it than that. The qualities of Hallertau are wasted by using it as an APA bittering hop. Switch it out with a higher alpha American hop like Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, etc to both bump up the IBUs and more closely compliment the flavors of the style. The recipe is also at 15% crystal malt. Drop it to 5% (1/2 lb) and add another pound of pale malt. That will lighten the color and lower the FG making the beer a little drier and giving it a bit more alcohol.

You might be close to the ranges of the OG and IBU numbers for the style but there's more to it than that. The qualities of Hallertau are wasted by using it as an APA bittering hop. Switch it out with a higher alpha American hop like Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, etc to both bump up the IBUs and more closely compliment the flavors of the style. The recipe is also at 15% crystal malt. Drop it to 5% (1/2 lb) and add another pound of pale malt. That will lighten the color and lower the FG making the beer a little drier and giving it a bit more alcohol.
.. with biged on this 1. i love apa's. use big hops (12+) for them, and use 1 oz at the boil, and lighter hops on the later additions. cascade is an excellent choice. and make the grain change he suggests :D

Back