Would this be useful as a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lots of folks using these. Search "plastic conical" and Im sure you'll find a few threads

they work fine, i'm using two. give them a good cleaning though when you get them. Also, Also, check out www.spraysmarter.com its where I got mine, might save you a few bucks depending on your shipping. Saved me about $40 overall ($10 on the tank and $30 on shipping to PA)

Oh and put a bead of silicone around the top, the lids don't seal well at all.

Last edited:
i wish they made a 7 gal or 8 gal one for that price. 15 is just too big for my set up and allowed space

they work fine, i'm using two. give them a good cleaning though when you get them. Also, Also, check out www.spraysmater.com its where I got mine, might save you a few bucks depending on your shipping. Saved me about $40 overall ($10 on the tank and $30 on shipping to PA)

Oh and put a bead of silicone around the top, the lids don't seal well at all.

Link appears to be wrong. Shipping is what's holding me off too. $168 for the tank and stand.

See: super simple 15g plastic conical
Also, someone linked to a gasket on there that fits the lid.
I forget... just woke up

If you plan on going with sanitary valves make sure that you add up all the component pricing + shipping. I was going to go with these and once I added everything up decided it was only about a $200 conical jump to go with a stainless.

oh and I didn't buy the stands, I made my own out of a sheet of plywood with a big hole cut in it which saved $200 or so from not buying the stands and shipping..... if you are buying the stands.... its probably better to go with a stainless fermenter from SS Brewtech.

JDDEVINN is right, all those do add up but still saved me money. basically (3) 15 gallon fermenters for the cost of (1) stainless one.
you can get Sanitary valves from http://www.bargainfittings.com/ for $11.
[/url]

Do you have a direct link for the valves at Bargain Fittings?!?! That's a steal:ban:, I paid way more than that. At that cost I'll replace all my hot side valves with sanitary. Although, all I see on BF is the 3-piece NPT valves? (still at a good price)

Do you have a direct link for the valves at Bargain Fittings?!?! That's a steal:ban:, I paid way more than that. At that cost I'll replace all my hot side valves with sanitary. Although, all I see on BF is the 3-piece NPT valves? (still at a good price)

I'm sorry I was confusing the npt valves as sanitary valves.

No problem. NPT can usually be had for cheap but if you want to go the sanitary path it gets expensive quick.

okay i have to admit my ignorance here, what are sanitary valves? something like a butterfly valve / TC Valve?

Okay i just did a google search and some other HBT treads came up. Pretty cool, learn something new everyday. I have no experience with the butterfly valves and for me, I think i'm okay with the NPT 3-piece valves, but for the fermenters the sanitary ones sound nice. Beats taking the 3-piece ones apart all the time!

Back