Would gelatin do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
Had this Vienna Lager lagering for about 45 days in secondary. 7 days ago I added gelatin.

Just went to start to ramp the temp up to keg in a couple days and there's something on top I've never seen before.

Could it be something from the gelatin? An infection? It was not there at all before I added the gelatin.

20190502_210842_Burst01.jpg

Never seen that before. Could well be gelatin, judging by the way it wet-clings to the glass. Pellicles don't do that.

How much gelatin did you add?
How's the beer looking, nice and clear?

Never seen that before. Could well be gelatin, judging by the way it wet-clings to the glass. Pellicles don't do that.

How much gelatin did you add?
How's the beer looking, nice and clear?

Yeah, it looks clear. I did the usual: 1 tsp of gelatin in about a cup of water. I did notice it wasn't completely clear the way is usually is after heating it in the microwave. I think the water I let it bloom in wasn't hot enough.

This is my first time adding gelatin in the fermenter. I've only ever done it before in the keg, where I can't see things.

It just now occurred to me maybe that was slush forming at the top. Never happened before at this temp (37F) but thought I'd check, so I touched it with a rod and it didn't seem to give any resistance like you'd expect slush to, but it was hard to tell for sure. Also licked the rod and tasted nothing, for what that's worth. Also smelled like Vienna Lager should.

When I racked it into the keg tonight, the glob of stuff at the top floated around as I racked, so definitely wasn't just bubbles. Also some of it stayed stuck to the glass up in the rim, and it looked just like gelatin.

Now as to why it happened in the first place I don't know. Maybe I didn't dissolve it well enough before throwing in there.

I think the water I let it bloom in wasn't hot enough.

Gelatin is bloomed in cold water, not hot. It did not dissolve properly. Sprinkle dry gelatin over cold water and let stand 5-10 minutes or until it is fully saturated. Then heat the mixture to pasteurization temperature, stir gently to insure it is clear and uniform, and then add it to your cold beer.

Sorry, but I don't recall where I obtained the following information. I do follow the guidance and haven't have any issues.

Per 5 gallons of beer, I use 1 tsp of gelatin to 3/4 cup of water.

Steps

Add 3/4 cup of water to your measuring cup (more if doing more than 5 gallons of beer)

Heat the water slightly before adding the gelatin, this helps it dissolve quicker.

Add 1 tsp of gelatin – I stir with the thermometer to get a reading. You’re looking to heat the solution to 150-155F, I do this by microwaving in short 5-10 second bursts. Obviously, all microwaves are different, just avoid boiling it. How to Use Gelatin to Clarify Your Beer (Dissolving the Gelatin)

Once you hit the target temperature, take the lid off of your keg (or fermenter) and pour the solution directly into your beer.

If you add gelatin into a keg, make sure you reconnect your CO2 line and purge the headspace

If you add gelatin into a fermenter, replace the airlock

Wait 24-48 hours while the gelatin works its magic

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what my process is:

• Gelatin

• 1 cup of hot water, 1 tsp gelatin

• Stir, wait 10-20 min.

• Heat in microwave in short increments until hit 150

• Stir, wait a little while
(thought I've stopped doing that last 'wait a little while')

Back