Would a bacteriostatic filter be worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
I have been a achieving good results with bottled water from a local spring water company. I've been buying two 5 gallon bottles for the production of 6 gallons of fermentable wort, which leaves me with about 5 gallons of finished beer for bottling or kegging. I realize that the $10 I pay is a small price for a critical ingredient like brewing water, but what about using a high quality bacteriostatic filter? I live in a rural area, and the drinking water is not bad at all, although it's not well water. I've brewed with it before. If I were to pass it through a bacteriostatic filter, it should have an even cleaner taste. I could make back the price of the filter rather quickly, plus free myself from having to plan for the commercial water to be at hand. Has anybody used a filter like this, or do you have any other thoughts? I realize that there are home RO systems too, but they are more expensive. This is a naïve question, I know, but I plan to address the issue of brewing water more aggressively later on. Thanks!!!!!!!

Back