Wort Filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainman667

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches now, and I am getting used to the trub at the bottom of my fermenter, but a thought occurred to me as I rad about others with Hops bags and all. Should I be filtering the wort when I enter it into the fermenter? I have sparged in the bag and dumped grains, but I just threw the hops pellets in and I know I have a sludge before I even pitch the yeast. It is not like I am getting any crusties out of the kettle, but still. Am I leaving too many "flavor crystals" in the mix?

I strain my wort before it gets into the fermenter. I usually use a paint strainer over a regular strainer. I still have trub but it's less that it would be without doing this. Cheers!

That's really one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

A whirlpool helps.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

I'm still pretty noob but I was taught the strainer method Revvy noted above and I'm considering wrapping my strainer in a muslin bag for my next brew to experiment with cutting the trub down even more. Thinking it might(?) help add a little aeration too, which is good at that stage of the game.

Anyway Revvy knows best, man. Heed his advice.

I use this strainer from a kitchen supply store. Pulls out all the hop pellet gunk and most of the trub.

Also aerated the wort on way into the fermenter.

image-4142574565.jpg

Latest posts

Back