Wort Cooling Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmito

Reaction score
Currently, I run tap water through a 50ft "herms" coil in my Brew Kettle. At the same time, I recirculate the wort through a 25 Ft coil in a cooler filled with ice water and back into the brew kettle. I cool 20 gallons of wort to pitchable temps in just under an hour.

I would like to stop running the wort through the 25 ft coil all together, I feel I can't get it clean enough.

I'm wondering if running the tap water through 25ft ice bath before running through the 50ft coil in the Brew Kettle would extend my cooling time.

What do you guys think?

Well yeah it will improve performance but why not just build a CFC? Either coil you can wrap copper wire around, long wraps, say one rotation every 6-12" or so, and tack solder in place. Slip that inside a larger diameter hose (50% or so), and coil up, done. CFC. Pre chill your warm Miami (go Dolphins!) water in an ice bath through your other coil and you'll have cool wort transferred directly into your fermenter in 1/2 that time!

Back