Wort Chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have an NZ/ AU hop IPA chilling right now, and this is by far the biggest time suck of brewing.

I have a SS coil chiller, but for this brew I didn't even bother. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference in the time it takes to chill down my wort to a pitching temp with the chiller vs an ice bath.

Anybody have any suggestions on speeding up the process?

I seem to get down to 90-100F no problem. Then it stalls. I am considering a SS Brewtech Brewbucket with an FTSs, but that may be a bit before I am ready to lay out that kind of cash. So I am curious if anybody has any good tips for the mean time.

Using a cheap pump I first recirculate from a 5gal bucket of tap water. Then I recirculate from a cooler filled with ice and 5gal of pre-chilled water (I have a mostly empty shop fridge, so I can put a 5gal bucket in it to chill water). Takes about 10 min to get to pitching temp, using a homemade 50ft "ribcage" immersion chiller.

The bucket of now hot tap water gets used for cleanup. The water in the cooler is used for rinsing.

Take this for what it's worth.

Here is what I use
- 2 Rubbermaid trash cans. One filled with ice (from one of those 20lbs for $1 kiosks) and the other catches the run-off (water the plants after it cools down).
- 1000gal/hr Water pump (http://a.co/diehO7D) submerged in the trashcan full of ice water.
- 1/2 inch 50ft Copper Wort Chiller (http://a.co/f8VplV1)

All of this connected to my garden hose.
During a brew day in December I timed the cool down. It took 20 minutes from Boiling/Flame Out to 70ºF pitching temperature using this method.

Here is a video of the basics behind the process.
https://youtu.be/yqBJ-AuspK0

Interesting, thanks guys. I have played around with using an old aquarium pump, but it has an MTP outlet and I just never got around to it. I didn't think about just picking up a cheap little maxijet or something like that and the hose will probably just fit on the outlet (At least that what I do with an old maxijet for water changes on my reef tank).

Interesting, thanks guys. I have played around with using an old aquarium pump, but it has an MTP outlet and I just never got around to it. I didn't think about just picking up a cheap little maxijet or something like that and the hose will probably just fit on the outlet (At least that what I do with an old maxijet for water changes on my reef tank).

MPT? If it's a common size and you have a homebrew store near you, you can probably pick up a cheap $3-6 barbed fitting and clamp your hose to that.

Use your immersion chiller to drop it down to 100 degrees F or whatever it gets to quickly, then put it in the icebath. Should work much more quickly..

MPT? If it's a common size and you have a homebrew store near you, you can probably pick up a cheap $3-6 barbed fitting and clamp your hose to that.

I don't know why I was trying to match fittings and screw the cost down to the pump...simple solutions.

Back