wort chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Evs

Reaction score
I'm trying to make my own immersion chiller but the only copper I can find says "max temp = 150° " Is that gonna work or am I missing something ?

do you have a link to your copper? Straight tubing (M, L, K) would have a max service temperature because of the PSI, it would be dependent on the type of solder used as well. But for our wort chilling application this wouldn't pose a problem.

Btw, the standard stuff at homedepot works well. HVAC coil is thinner and therefore would have better conductivity. And Mueller copper doesn't contain lead (some "lead-free" plumbing has lead in it)

i'd be careful. I have heard of chillers made out of cheap copper will actually melt (copper coated). Make sure its pure copper, and you wont have an issue.
Northern Brewer sells a good immersion chiller, and from what I understand its, USA made.

do you have a link to your copper? Straight tubing (M, L, K) would have a max service temperature because of the PSI, it would be dependent on the type of solder used as well. But for our wort chilling application this wouldn't pose a problem.

Btw, the standard stuff at homedepot works well. HVAC coil is thinner and therefore would have better conductivity. And Mueller copper doesn't contain lead (some "lead-free" plumbing has lead in it)

HVAC coil is thicker, R410A runs a 500psi head on a cool day, much more if the condenser fan breaks, can't have lines exploding.

Lots of people here had luck with a site called Copper Tubing Sales

I just checked them out again and I see they sell a "homebrew kit". Compression fittings for garden hose. Nice. I made mine with Home Depot copper and soldered stuff together. They didn't have this when I made mine.

Back