WOOOPS! Put 12ml of diluted starsan into wort... okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymark

Reaction score
Diluted starsan refers to standard dilution of 30ml/5gal.

After sanitizing my aeration stone, I forgot to purge the tubing of diluted starsan. I then pushed 12 ml(calculated) into my fermenter with my wort. I don't thing the phosphoric acid is a big deal, but what about the dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid? I had already added 4ml of 88% lactic acid in the mash.

The beer is fermenting fine so far. Should I have any concerns about drinking it?

The owner of starsan demonstrated how safe it is by drinking a pint of solution.

You should be fine with 12ml.

DONT FEAR THE FOAM!

Whew! Thanks. I slapped myself when I realized what I did. Just one of those "I just screwed up my brew" kind of moments.

The owner of starsan demonstrated how safe it is by drinking a pint of solution.

You should be fine with 12ml.

DONT FEAR THE FOAM!
I'd like to know how he did that. I've gotten a sample of starsan while using my thief* and knew immediately that this stuff sucks for flavour. That would just be unpleasant.

* I should note that my particular thief is using my standard 1/2 tubing with a negative air pressure applied via the lungs. Not too fancy, but it works for getting hydro samples. If you're wondering the samples are then either drank or sacrificed after.

Like others said, you're fine. I've done it and I was okay. I'm still here with my third eye growing in nicely.

BTW, dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid is one of those mysterious ingredients in fracking fluid. I wonder if it is there to make all the the other ingredients stick to the rocks to be dissolved.

Latest posts

Back