Won't freeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

55x11

Reaction score
I just brewed a gallon of Applejack but it won't freeze anymore and it kind of looks like jello when it does does anybody know why this occurs or is it just a really really good batch. Given this is my first time attempting this

whats alcohol content? the more alcohol you have, the lower the freezing point. If you cool it far enough it will freeze eventually.

Water freezes at 32F.
If it's 6% ABV, it won't freeze until about 28F.
If it's 10% ABV, it won't freeze until about 25F.
If it's 15% ABV, it won't freeze until about 20F.
If it's 20% ABV, it won't freeze until about 14F.
If it's 40% ABV, it won't freeze until about -22F.
If it's 60% ABV, it won't freeze until about -50F.
If it's 80% ABV, it won't freeze until about -95F.
If it's 100% ABV, it won't freeze until about -173F.

That said, if your applejack is only around 10% or 15% ABV or so, it should freeze in most freezers no problem. If you've ramped it up to 30% or 40% ABV, then it probably won't. And then the question would be, why are you trying to freeze it?

I'm assuming you are using a freezer. But still, the higher the ABV, the lower the freezing point and the more time you'll need.

Water freezes at 32F.
If it's 6% ABV, it won't freeze until about 28F.
If it's 10% ABV, it won't freeze until about 25F.
If it's 15% ABV, it won't freeze until about 20F.
If it's 20% ABV, it won't freeze until about 14F.
If it's 40% ABV, it won't freeze until about -22F.
If it's 60% ABV, it won't freeze until about -50F.
If it's 80% ABV, it won't freeze until about -95F.
If it's 100% ABV, it won't freeze until about -173F.

That said, if your applejack is only around 10% or 15% ABV or so, it should freeze in most freezers no problem. If you've ramped it up to 30% or 40% ABV, then it probably won't. And then the question would be, why are you trying to freeze it?

I'm assuming you are using a freezer. But still, the higher the ABV, the lower the freezing point and the more time you'll need.

Where did you get these numbers?

Where did you get these numbers?

They're rough estimates. I said "about" since oftentimes the numbers I gave were 1-2 degrees off from the actual freezing point but served fine for the point of demonstration.

EDIT:

Looks like my rough estimates were almost spot on below 40% ABV, but diverged quite a bit above 40% ABV. According to the link below, I was only 2% off from 100%, though. Assuming it's correct and all (and I have to imagine it's much much more accurate than my estimates).

A Google search found this:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

Latest posts

Back