Wolves in sheep's clothing (non-craft breweries)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you counting breweries like Kona, Widmer Brothers, Red Hook and whoever else is in the Craft Brewers Alliance (who is owned by AB-InBev if I'm not mistaken)?

I'll throw in Magic Hat as well since they're making plenty of enemies today anyway.

Are you counting breweries like Kona, Widmer Brothers, Red Hook and whoever else is in the Craft Brewers Alliance (who is owned by AB-InBev if I'm not mistaken)?

I'll throw in Magic Hat as well since they're making plenty of enemies today anyway.

Yes, thanks.

North American Breweries was a new parent corporation established by New York City investment firm KPS Capital Partners to manage its brewery acquisitions:
  • Genesee Brewing Company,
  • Dundee Brewing Company,
  • Pyramid,
  • Magic Hat,
  • MacTarnahan's.
The company also managed Labatt USA, which imports Labatt beer into the US, and imports Imperial beer from Costa Rica. The company is based at the Genesee Brewing Company corporate office in Rochester, New York. It has been owned by Florida Ice & Farm Co. since December 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Breweries

This shiat is crazy. A lot of these brews seemed suspiciously mass produced but I was never sure and was too busy drinking to look them up. Widmer for sure! Red hook yeah! Pyramid hell yeah.

Many of these just popped up one day at the beer store as if they had been around for ever.

This shiat is crazy. A lot of these brews seemed suspiciously mass produced but I was never sure and was too busy drinking to look them up. Widmer for sure! Red hook yeah! Pyramid hell yeah.

Many of these just popped up one day at the beer store as if they had been around for ever.

They have been around for a long time. The only reason you're seeing Pyramid and Red Hook now is because they sold a portion of their companies to BMC in return for increased distribution. They aren't new "faux" craft beers. But they're more available now, which is a good thing, right?

Last numbers I saw InBev only owns 35% of Craft Brewers Alliance which is an independently traded company. They do handle their distribution though.

AZ_IPA said:
They have been around for a long time. The only reason you're seeing Pyramid and Red Hook now is because they sold a portion of their companies to BMC in return for increased distribution. They aren't new "faux" craft beers. But they're more available now, which is a good thing, right?

Yeah sure but I mean they've popped up in the craft beer section of the stores I go to an weren't distributed here until recently. Well I guess red hook always was.

1. Buy craft brewery.

2. Package in overproduced glossy 12 packs and take up tons of shelf space squeezing out smaller breweries.

3. Profit.

And I don't think merely being available is a good thing. If BMC buys Widmer and then Widmer becomes available coast to coast in every store it's really just more homogenization and monoculture.

But don't get me wrong i like that I can buy west coast and east coast beers up here, and Chimay, and dopplebocks, and we just got New Belgium!

But more shelf space for BMC means less for Full Sail, Deschutes, and Ninkasi, and even more so for the littler guys and obscure imports.

And somebody please start distributing Bells up here already. For the love of God.

yep

horse.jpg

So where is the list? Wasn't the OP going to compile the list?

Did you not see the original post? I have been updating it as I go.

Pyramid used to be a really inexpensive brew the past few years and now it is $9.50 a 6 pack here. Bummer because I love their hefeweizen.

Pyramid used to be a really inexpensive brew the past few years and now it is $9.50 a 6 pack here. Bummer because I love their hefeweizen.

Just got there apricot and imperial IPA in bottle shops around here.
Huge fan of fruit beers and they nailed it on the apricot, creamy dense head chewy wheat/pilsner body and tart tones of the fruit.
The imperial on the other hand was not so great for being "dryhoped" ,love when breweries put this on there label like im supposed to go HOLY $hI! dry hoped?!?
It was a little earthy and to much pine to really mkae me grab another, another good thing about my local shop is they sell singles.

On another note as i saw that pyramid is now owned by NAB,
I saw Henry Weinhardts pop out of no where this winter....they were purchased by SABMiller....Add it to the list!

Not if you've ever had Pyramid or Red Hook.

So this is a reminder to be polite. I take great pride in HBT being a friendly site with a helpful community and in order to accomplish that we all need to be cordial.

If you don't like this thread, don't post to it. If you would like to debate whether a BMC ruins beer, please see the debate forum. I'm sure we have more than a few threads already started about it.

What does that mean, "as if they've been around forever?" Are they supposed to announce their arrival with fanfare?

Well to be honest, I expected a complete listing of each breweries' beers, not links to their websites. Kind of thought it was going to be a quick and easy place for people to check to see if the beer they are interested in was made by the Evil Empires.

Anyone who can pull up HBT can also surf to miller.com or whatever.

Well to be honest, I expected a complete listing of each breweries' beers, not links to their websites. Kind of thought it was going to be a quick and easy place for people to check to see if the beer they are interested in was made by the Evil Empires.

Disjointed posts, and the expiring ability of the OP to EDIT, make this a daunting task.

I was asked to do it in the NETFLIX thread and it is impossible.

Perhaps in threads like this, posts like:

REDHOOK
Leinenkugel

(end post)

Should be the norm unless someone wants to dispute a claim.

I didn't want to list every brew from each brewery so I figured I would just add the ones relevant as "craft". Feed free to post ones you feel I am missing and I can add them.

Some people in the "worst craft beer" thread have mentioned Heineken, this IS NOT craft beer! They are the third largest brewing conglomerate in the world...

Also I think most of the British beers I've seen mentioned on here are owned by corporations of varying sizes, I suppose it makes sense though because they have the finance to get distribution in the States.

I didn't want to list every brew from each brewery so I figured I would just add the ones relevant as "craft". Feed free to post ones you feel I am missing and I can add them.

No thank you. This list is not for me. I just had a different expectation is all. I'm perfectly happy to look up any pseudo craft beer on my phone if I want to. Plus about 90% of the beer I drink is made in Michigan by myself, or the craft breweries I am familiar with. The other 10% is mostly made up of craft from other states that I manage to find at local stores.

No thank you. This list is not for me. I just had a different expectation is all. I'm perfectly happy to look up any pseudo craft beer on my phone if I want to. Plus about 90% of the beer I drink is made in Michigan by myself, or the craft breweries I am familiar with. The other 10% is mostly made up of craft from other states that I manage to find at local stores.

Right on. I'm happy to change anything, just not sure of your expectations vs my intent.

So this is a reminder to be polite. I take great pride in HBT being a friendly site with a helpful community and in order to accomplish that we all need to be cordial.

If you don't like this thread, don't post to it. If you would like to debate whether a BMC ruins beer, please see the debate forum. I'm sure we have more than a few threads already started about it.

Perhaps not having a thread titled "Wolves in sheep's clothing" and more like "a list of beers that you may not know aren't 'craft'" would keep the wolves on sides at bay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back