WLP840 Primary - First 18 hours too warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdragon

Reaction score
On Sunday night, I brewed a Honey Lager and pitched a yeast starter. We were supposed to get hit by a cold front late in the night which would have brought temps down for getting my garage to the right temperature for fermentation. Before I went to bed, the temperature of the glass carboy was right at 54 degrees.

The next morning, it was at a whopping 62 degrees! The cold front that was supposed to be here never came. Nice, huh?. So I put the carboy in my fridge to chill it down. Right now it's at 48 degrees which is close to the 50 - 55 degree range.

If the first 18 hours ruined my beer, I guess it is what it is. But my question is - should I be worried about maintaining the temp at 48 degrees, only 2 degrees off from the recommended temps? My logic says "No, stop worrying" but my brewmuse can't help but think that I'm harboring a ruined brew because the temps got messed up.

Latest posts

Back