WLP830 for OS Coopers Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab1788

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new brewer (9 months) I've done 40 plus extract batches. Most of them have been OS coopers and I like them. Now that it's cold here I've been doing coop lagers using their yeast, which at the beginning I thought would be suited to the cold ( 10-15c). As it turns out they just use a generic brewers yeast for all their OS (cheap) kits. So I started using SAFLager 023 with them. I have three 23l batches bottled and waiting to try. Anyway I bought some white labs liquid German lager yeast that has arrived today and I'm wanting to try it in the coop lag. My reasoning behind this is to use the coop lag as a control of sorts (because I know how it tastes with their yeast and soon with the SAFLager ) to see what kind of flavours the WL yeast provides compared to the other two to give me an idea of the profile. Anyway I guess what I'm wondering is, if I should use the (expensive) WL yeast on a cheap kit (10bucks) or should I really save it for a good one. I'm also planning on washing it and re-using it.

I'm a relatively new brewer (9 months) I've done 40 plus extract batches.
I think 40 batches makes you something more than "relatively new".

Anyway, if you are planning to wash the yeast, it doesn't really matter if you use it on a cheap kit, because you'll also be able to use it on a good one. I've never used that particular yeast, but I can't imagine a reason why it would be a bad choice for a lager kit. Do it!

And, welcome to HBT!

Well,the Cooper's yeast is an average ale yeast that I've used in small starters,re-hydrated,& tried dry. Starter was the best. But with the WLP830,ferment temps are lower,at 50-55F (7.5-10C). Not to mention other processes associated with "real" lagers.
I'm sure someone with more lagering experience will chime in...

Latest posts

Back