WLP644 vs WLP650

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexanRudeboy

Reaction score
I accidentally picked up 644 instead of 650 at my LHBS. I planned on siphoning off couple gallons of a Belgian Pale Ale I've got at bottling time into two one gallon jugs. One with raspberries, one with blackberries, both with some Cabernet soaked oak cubes. I wanted to use classic Brux because that's what Goose Island uses in Juliet and Lollita.

White Labs says Trois is usually used as a primary fermenter. How much of a difference is there between the two when used in secondary fermentation? Should I just go exchange it?

Trois is a good seconday strain too. It just shines as a primary strain.
I currently am drinking a beer which I aged with both(in seperate fv's) and the difference is not all that great. No need to stress about it.
But if you have your heart set on the other strain, then just split it two ways and then you have double the brett beer.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

I ended up needing to go to my lhbs anyways so I swapped for 650. The close ups are 3 days in. One has 10oz raspberries, the other has 10oz blackberries(both frozen and thawed a few times). Both have 1/8oz Cabernet soaked med toast French oak cubes and as good a split as I could get of a vial of WLP650.

For insurance I split the dregs from a bottle of Orval in there. I understand the sacc strain in Orval could take hold and ferment out the simple sugars from the fruit. My understanding is that given time the Brett will build up and consume the longer chain sugars along with byproducts from the sacc fermentation. Do I basically have this right?

1392876555627.jpg

1392876577245.jpg

1392876646450.jpg

1392876662986.jpg

Got curious(hey its my first time aging like this) and took samples. Raspberry down to 1.009(1st pic), blackberry 1.010. Must have introduced some oxygen because one formed a gnarly pellicle.

1397273209840.jpg

1397273225846.jpg

Gravity hadn't changed as of my last sample on 5/30. If it hasn't changed when I take another sample at the end of this month I'm going to bottle. Both taste great, mostly the fruit and Brett contributing, but they're too tart. Think I'm going to brew up another base batch and try blending it.

Gravity hadn't changed as of my last sample on 5/30. If it hasn't changed when I take another sample at the end of this month I'm going to bottle. Both taste great, mostly the fruit and Brett contributing, but they're too tart. Think I'm going to brew up another base batch and try blending it.

six months later.....give me an update.

six months later.....give me an update.

I ended up bottling both at the end of June. Got about 8 bottles out of each and they were all drank by September. The tartness all but disappeared, but the Brett character intensified, especially in the bottle. I wish I had saved one or two.

I rebrewed the base and added a full pound of blackberries last month, skipping the oak. I plan on brewing a new one every month with varying fruits to keep it on hand.

Back