WLP644 - Treat it like Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hi All,

i have scoured forums (fora?) all over the web and can't get a clear answer. Now that WLP 644 has been classified as Sacc and not Brett, can you treat it like Sacc when it comes to sanitization? I reached out to White Labs recently and they recommended that you treat it like Brett, which would mean using separate carboys, starter flasks, tubing and bottling buckets. But then I've seen other ppl say that you can use it on the same equipment that use Sacc on and there's no risk of contamination of Sacc batches.

in light of the forgoing....So which one is it?

According to their white lab's website

"(Formerly named Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois. WLP644 is packaged as normal Saccharomyces and the pitch rates are the same as Saccharomyces strains)."

I have used it many times and my normal routine of PBW and Star-San works, have not had any contamination issues. (I have done a bunch of stouts after and they don't over attenuate)

Although not the OPs question I agree with @jodell in that it should be pitched like a normal Saccharomyces, however out of the Sacch strains it acts like a saison, It can tolerate higher Temps, and makes some great esters the hotter it gets. I use the Imperial yeast version of the strain A20 Citrus, and even though they have 78% as the attenuation White Labs is more on the mark at 85%. Imperial also has a blend of strains called Dryhop (Conan and 644) which can be fun.

Hi All,

i have scoured forums (fora?) all over the web and can't get a clear answer. Now that WLP 644 has been classified as Sacc and not Brett, can you treat it like Sacc when it comes to sanitization? I reached out to White Labs recently and they recommended that you treat it like Brett, which would mean using separate carboys, starter flasks, tubing and bottling buckets. But then I've seen other ppl say that you can use it on the same equipment that use Sacc on and there's no risk of contamination of Sacc batches.

in light of the forgoing....So which one is it?

I've used carboys and flasks for clean and mixed fermentations without much worry of cross contamination with brett lacto and pedio. Plastic and tubing are harder to clean effectively and should be separate gear in my experience.

Hi All,

I emailed White Labs today for a definitive answer on this, and it confirms everyone's anecdotal evidence that WLP644 can, in fact, be treated just like a sacc strain with respect to sanitization. See White Labs' response below:

"Hi,
WLP644 is a Sacc strain. With it being a Sacc strain, you do not need to use separate equipment.
Thank You,
Jeff Haro
White Labs, Inc.
Sales/Customer Service."

There you have it, folks.

Back