WLP568 95% attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison 2 weeks ago and pitched a pretty big starter of WLP568. The fermentation took off like mad, even clogging my blow off tube and shooting it up to the ceiling. Just checked gravity today as I am planning on kegging this sunday and it was .996 from 1.046!! I was expecting something in the 1.004-1.006 range and this is pretty different. Taste is not bad, just kind of watery with a little funk in it, but overall pretty good. I did add sugar to it, but I didn't feel it was too much, here is the recipe and let me know if you think this is typical or not:

Saison
Type: All Grain Date: 6/26/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal Brewer: Dennis
Boil Size: 12.95 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My 10 gallon Equipment
End of Boil Volume 11.70 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 10.50 gal Est Mash Efficiency 73.9 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 59.5 %
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.6 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 10.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 8.1 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 2.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 7 1.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg WLP568 Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.004 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.996 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 22.1 IBUs Calories: 144.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 4.9 SRM

No one else has had crazy attenuation from this yeast? Damn, do I have an infection in my 2 separate carboys?

No one else has had crazy attenuation from this yeast? Damn, do I have an infection in my 2 separate carboys?

I don't have experience with this yeast but most Belgian strains are great at knocking out gravity points. What'd you mash at?

I don't have experience with this yeast but most Belgian strains are great at knocking out gravity points. What'd you mash at?

Started at 149 but it dropped to 144 after 30 minutes then I heated back up to 149 where it remained for the rest of the mash. I assume that would be my problem, but it seems like over attenuation even for a low mash like mine ended up at.

Started at 149 but it dropped to 144 after 30 minutes then I heated back up to 149 where it remained for the rest of the mash. I assume that would be my problem, but it seems like over attenuation even for a low mash like mine ended up at.

95% is pretty insane, but with an average mash temp of 146-147 and the right fermentation conditions I think it's entirely possible.

If it tastes good, pack it up, Carb it, and enjoy!

Yeah, I corrected for temp and everything, but I do think it must have been due to the fluctuating, low mash temps. I am assuming I must have made a mistake somewhere, just not sure where.

I just bottled a Saison that I used this yeast on over the weekend. Partial mash on the stove with 7lbs of grain, mash started at 150 and dropped to 145, added 3lbs extra light dme and 1lb of sugar at 15 minutes. OG came to 1.058 and FG came to 1.005. This yeast is beastly. I took a cup and a half of the yeast cake and pitched that into a rye saison I brewed Sunday that had an OG of 1.052. The krausen on that has already come and gone in 48 hours. I am a big fan of this yeast right now and it works great for me right now that I don't have much temperature control.

Well I just tried this yeast - yesterday was brew day! I was going with WLP565 but WLP568 was recommend as good blend of strains. I will see in a few weeks.

Currently the fermentation is very aggressive. I have had to replace the bubbler twice becuase is pust out the solution! I have the frementation vessel in water in a small metal barrel with a fish tank heater maintaining the temp.. low budge but it maintains the temp well enough. Currently holding are 77F

Latest posts

Back