WLP530 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro74

Reaction score
So I'm using White Labs 530 Abbey Ale yeast in my current brew (Leffe Clone: The Bastard Extract version) and it's fermenting nicely after a 500ml starter. It was bubbling after 24 hours, which did my "newbie-brewer" heart good ;) and has an interesting bubblegum odor to it now (the kids love it)

My question is about temperature. The label says to keep it around 70-75 degrees, and we keep our house at 69-70... but the beer has stayed around 74 degrees the past couple days. Now, granted, I'm only going by what the LCD thermometer on the side says... and it could be inaccurate. But is it common for yeasts to hold a temperature higher than that of their surroundings?!?... maybe only during the more vigorous fermentation stage..?

While beer is fermenting the yeast produces heat. The temp can be as little as a few degreess above ambient to as much as 10 degrees higher. Once active fermentation slows the temp will drop to ambient.

Yes it is very normal, especially with this yeast! This yeast likes to soar - when I do my Belgian strong dark with WLP530, it will take itself into the mid 80's usually with very little help from me and a heating pad.

beergolf said:
While beer is fermenting the yeast produces heat. The temp can be as little as a few degreess above ambient to as much as 10 degrees higher. Once active fermentation slows the temp will drop to ambient.

Wow! 10 degrees, eh?! The fledgling physicist in me knew there had to be some transference of energy that produced heat, but didn't think it would be enough to change 5 gallons of liquid 10 degrees!! Awesome! Thanks for the responses.

Wow! 10 degrees, eh?! The fledgling physicist in me knew there had to be some transference of energy that produced heat, but didn't think it would be enough to change 5 gallons of liquid 10 degrees!! Awesome! Thanks for the responses.

Yep..

The closer you are to the low end of the recommeded range it may only be a couple of degrees. As you get to the upper end the temp range it can go crazy and get really hot.

That is why most recommend pitching low and then letting the temp slowly rise.

Latest posts

Back