WLP400 3wks & still going...slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawlessamps

Reaction score
I am doing the Garden Grand Cru from JOHB and the fermentation is going real slow. I still have an inch of krausen and a perk from the airlock every 20 seconds. The temp has been steady at 72-74. I've read this strain can be difficult. Should I just let it go? I tried putting it in a warmer room and it was at 77deg but no increase in activity.

Honestly I would let it finish on its own. As long as you hit your mash temps and the PH is within normal range you shouldn't have any problems. Give it another week or so and take a hydro reading and see where you're at.

Bubbles mean next to nothing, take a gravity reading, if it's stable for 3 days, you're done fermenting.

This yeast can be slow to finish, but three weeks is very long. You have to take a gravity reading and ignore the bubbles from the airlock. The bubbles are probably due to co2 coming out of solution rather than active fermentation. This yeast will have a very persistent krausen, even after it is completed. You can stir the krausen back into the beer and see if that helps fermentation complete, but it is most likely done already. If the gravity remains stable for 3 days rack from under the krausen and bottle/keg.

I just kegged this beer last night. I did take a hydro reading and it was 1.011 and should have been between 008-010. Close enough for rock and roll. The krausen never did go away even after shaking. It reformed both times. I have to admit the brew smells awesome. Thanks for the input.

Back