wlp300 2 weeks in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub117

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I brewed an AG dunkelweizen, and it's been fermenting away at around 66F down in the basement. From everything I read about this yeast I expected to primary for about 2 weeks and then bottle, but I just took a peek to see if fermentation was over or at least slowing and to my surprise there's still a healthy inch or so of krausen on top! I know the recommended temp range is 68-72, but I was under the impression fermenting around 65-66 would produce more clove than fruit...Is this too low of a temp? Or is it ok that primary is still going strong after this long? All my other beers seem to calm down after just a couple days of being active.

Thanks for your help,
Graham

I've had beers not follow the usual plan too and some have had krausen for weeks. I'm sure it's fine. As for temp, the beer is probably a couple degrees warmer than the ambient temps, so I bet you're right in that recommended range.

I used this yeast for a Hefe and bottled after 2 weeks the Krausen hung around for about 10 days then dropped suddenly, this may be of no help to you but I thought I would add. also ferm temp was 66-68

Just do a gravity reading. If its reached the expected FG then bottle it. My last beer was a dunkelweizen and there was yeast rafts floating on top. It was definitely done though.

Great, thanks guys! I'll take a reading and then let it sit a couple more days and see if it drops, I've never checked the gravity if it still has krausen, but I'll check it. Not in a rush really, just curious

For some reason mine never wanted to drop Until I cold crashed it. If its done fermenting try cold crashing it. It will most likely drop out within a day

You want the yeast in suspension with a dunkelweizen tho. It is no problem if there is stuff on top. Just make sure it is indeed finished. If it is whatever is on top will just stick to the sides of the primary when you rack it in my experience.

You want the yeast in suspension with a dunkelweizen tho. It is no problem if there is stuff on top. Just make sure it is indeed finished. If it is whatever is on top will just stick to the sides of the primary when you rack it in my experience.

And you will. WLP300 is a poor flocculator. It will still be really cloudy even if you cold crash it

I too am about to bottle a AG Dunkelweizen using WLP300. It is 2 weeks in the fermenter today and it wasn't until today that the thick krausen broke up and started falling.

If you don't mind my jumping in, I have another question particular to this yeast. When I took my hydrometer sample I took up quite a bit of yeast. I'm fermenting in a bucket so I can't see the trub layer but it seems like the yeast is living up to it's reputation as being a poor floculator. When racking to the bottling bucket is it okay to take some of that yeast with it? I'd like to get as much beer into the bottles as possible.

Thanks

ChaosStout said:
As I said It will make the Kausen drop out as thats what the OP seemed to be after.

I understand that I just don't know why it's so important to have it drop? When you rack it will just stick to the side of the carboy. I have had 300 floc out in the bottles after a few months. I wouldn't want to help it along.

I understand that I just don't know why it's so important to have it drop? When you rack it will just stick to the side of the carboy. I have had 300 floc out in the bottles after a few months. I wouldn't want to help it along.

Krausen taste like **** if your want it in your beer more power to ya

ChaosStout said:
Krausen taste like **** if your want it in your beer more power to ya

I won't get it in my bottles. You aren't listening to me. That's ok though, cold crash it. I have made my case. I move along now.

Back