WLP045 in a pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfitz

Reaction score
Last Saturday I brewed a pretty obnoxious batch of pumpkin ale. When I purchased the specialty malts and yeast I hadn't realized that my LHBS only sold me 1/2 of the amount of yeast required. I brew a 10 gal batch for two 5 gal ferments. I hadn't realized this until I started my sparge so using a starter wasn't going to happen. I had on hand a starter I made reviving an expired few vials of WLP045 so I used this in one fermenter with the WLP005.

Both a fermenting equally strong. I'm curious what I can expect from the batch with the WLP045.

and this is why I always have 1 pack of us-05, nottingham, and belle saison in the fridge : p

Il be interested to see what it does. I am nervous about the description saying it creates fusel oils. Maybe temperature dictates ho much? If it goes wrong just toss some oak cube in it and call it whiskey barrel aged i guess?

Back