WLP029.....does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1van

Reaction score
Made a kolsch about three weeks ago. Over the last week, I put it in a room at 50 degrees, as I dont have room to do a full crash cooling in a bucket. Racked to keg today and was planning on washing yeast or maybe just saving slurry and saw this on the top of the beer. I dont think its infected, didnt smell funny or taste wrong. I have never used this yeast before and want to hear some opinions regarding what these little floaters are? They dont really have much mass to them and I am thinking just remnants of the krausen that was.....Thoughts?

photo.JPG

Hello all.
I brewed a 10 gal batch of a simple Kolsch last Sunday. My first time using 90% Pilsner malt and the WLP029 yeast.
This beer's been fermenting at 65*F for the last 6 days. Things are slowing down, so I took a gravity reading, it's at 1.008. My OG was 1.055.
It tastes good, but really thin, but that may be because I've been making big badass beers lately, some Saisons, etc, and my taste buds aren't accustomed to light & delicate.
Of course, I'm probably tripping out, but just wanted to know if this yeast really gets down that low? I'm particularly detailed in my sanitation, but experienced with this malt and yeast.
Any guidance is very appreciated.
Like I said, I'm probably tripping, but I've never brewed a Kolsch, so I'm not sure.... Thanx gang!!

Latest posts

Back