WLP013 - Overwhelming Oak Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsburghBrewer

Reaction score
For my first extract brew without using a kit, I made the Worthington White Shield clone from Brew Your Own British Real Ale. Because it's supposed to have come from the Worthington brewery, I used WLP013 (London Ale Yeast). According to White Labs, this yeast provides a "complex, oakey ester character".

They're not kidding - after 3 weeks in the bottle, my beer has an overwhelming oak aftertaste that makes it almost undrinkable. I fermented my 3 gallon batch at 64F for about 3 weeks, using a decanted 1L starter.

For people who have experience with this yeast, does the oak flavor mellow over time? Could a mistake on my part have caused the aftertaste?

i've never used it, but that makes it very intriguing to me!

i've never used it, but that makes it very intriguing to me!

I've never used it either and I love oak in my wine and occasional beer. Hmmm.

Seriously, I can't really add much other than I'm sorry your batch isn't what you wanted. I know a lot of people who have turned against oak in the wine world due to its overwhelming popularity 10 or so years ago. Not me though. :p I've read that you should always be careful with oak in beer because it can overwhelm easier than with wine.

The sharpness of oak tannins infused in barrel aged beers will certainly mellow or round out in a short period of aging after removed from the oak source. I'd be interested to know if the phenols produced by this yeast strain will fade in time as they are not true tannins per se.

I don't think you did anything wrong to make this happen...at least regarding your fermentation temps. I have seen very few yeasts that get "funky" and throw excessive off flavors at the low end of the temp spectrum where you were. You fermented actually a couple of degrees low but that is safe, just typically takes a day or so longer to ferment. High end or over the suggest temp is where most of your odd flavors comes from.

Aging usually does wonders for complex beers so don't give up hope yet. Please post back since many of us may shy away from this yeast given the results you had.

Please post back since many of us may shy away from this yeast given the results you had.

Will do. I plan to try another bottle around the New Year. If it's not any better, I'll keep this batch around until I need the bottles.

Will do. I plan to try another bottle around the New Year. If it's not any better, I'll keep this batch around until I need the bottles.

We'll look forward to hearing more. What may be a surprise if you decide to dump it for the bottles and it is awesome by then! LOL

So the question is, "Do you enjoy oak aged beers?"
If not then any mildly noticeable oak character will be overwhelming.

It's like me with Belgian beers and saisons.
I just cannot stand them. So any of the clove, barn yardy, etc characters are too overwhelming. But someone else may think that is awesome or not a lot at all.

I'm just trying to gauge. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back