WLP008 for WLP001?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS today to get some stuff for my Simtennial Pale Ale and they were out of WLP001. :eek: They don't carry Wyeast so my options were either something else White Labs or some Notty. They happened to have a yeast chart from WL there describing the different strains. I decided to give the WLP008 a shot since it said it was very similar to WLP001 just less attentive.

My thoughts were to mash a few degrees lower to help the attenuation then ferment cool to keep any unfamiliar esters at bay.

Has anyone else used WLP008 for WLP001? What were your results?

I use WLP008 a lot, I just brewed my Session Pale ale (Americanized Bitter) yesterday. It is a nice clean fermenter, I usually ferment it at 70.

I used this yeast for an American amber that took second place (scored a 42.5) at the upper Mississippi mashout.

The description of white labs site says it adds a tart flavor, I haven't picked it up so much as a crisp malt flavor, and none of the judges commented about it either.

It does not flocculate very well (I have to crash cool it to 35 and use gelatin in the keg to make it drop clear). Less flocculation makes it easier to wash.

attenuation is slightly lower than 001 but it is still higher than 002.

I'm planning in brewing another amber ale and APA with the 2nd and 3rd generations for the National Home brew Comp in the next two weeks.

Don't forget Safale US-05. Same strain as WLP001 and WY1056.

I picked up five packets of US-05 yesterday at $3.11 per 11g packet.

At 250b cells, it's about 18.5% the cost per cell as compared to White Labs at my LBHS ($6.71) assuming 100b cells. In other words, you get more than 5x the cells for the same price, and it has a shelf life four times longer.

I used to use WY1056 a lot, until I realized that it costs me more to buy it and step it up with DME than it does to just buy two packets of US-05. And that isn't counting my time.

Back