WLP007 for Scottish Ale: Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizarrojosh

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Scottish Ale 80 Shilling and I'm trying to figure out what yeast to use. Obviously WLP028 is the natural choice, but I'm wondering why WLP007 isn't used more often. White Labs has several suggestions for WLP007 and Scottish Ale only got a 2 (see here: http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp007-dry-english-ale-yeast) Oddly, Strong Scoth Ale and Irish Red Ales both got 4s but plain old Scottish Ale is a 2...

So what's keeping WLP007 from being a leading contender for a scottish ale despite the fact that it fits with Wee Heavies and Irish ales so well?

What other yeasts would you use in a Scottish ale that I'm not thinking of? :mug:

Wyeast recommends 1084(004), 1098(007), 1728(028) and 1318. I have no idea why they say 1318; it's a fruit bomb, which isn't what you want for Scottish ales. I've never used 1450--love you Denny!-- but it sounds like it would do well. Given that you want a clean, moderate-attenuating yeast, I see no reason Chico and a slightly elevated mash temp wouldn't work. If you drop the fermenting temps to the bottom of the range, I think you could use almost any yeast. BJCP-approved Scottish/Irish ales aren't yeast-driven.

So I guess since you are suggesting that I will want a moderate-attenuating yeast WLP007 is a bit too much?

I was thinking about mashing a bit high, like 156F to help offset some of the dryness that may come with using a high attenuating yeast like WLP007.

And Denny's Favorite seems like a good choice which I would have never thought of: "It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated."

I think we are of like minds. Denny's favorite gets rave reviews from a lot of people as a great all-around yeast. I think this Denny guy may be on to something. Perhaps I need to pick up a pack for myself.

Latest posts

Back