WLP002 fast fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
So I used this yeast for a smoked brown porter on Sunday, pitched it at about 9:30pm and it seems to be almost finished and settled to the bottom already. No more krausen. Is this normal for this yeast? My SG was 1.051 and I made a small pint sized starter.

Another side question. I'm using a carboy hood (the orange kind) with a thermowell for temp. controlling. It doesn't seem to make nearly as tight a seal as a rubber stopper and I never got any activity in the airlock. Should I be concerned about oxygen leaking in.

Thanks for your help!

It usually ferments pretty quick for me, but just because the krausen has dropped it doesn't mean its done fermenting. It's likely still working away a bit more. As for the carboy hood, I wouldn't be to concerned with it for primary fermentation. If I was doing a secondary or aging, I would probably want a tighter seal.

Yeah, you may be right. It does look like its already starting to clear though. Shocking since it hasn't even been 48 hours yet!

What temperature are you fermenting at? I have WY1968 -- roughly the same strain -- fermenting at about 65 deg F since Sunday night, but it's still quite vigorous now (visible motion, thick krausen). It was also a 1.080 OG beer, and I had a 1.5 L starter.

This is by far the most flocculant yeast strain in my bank, so I pitch big and ferment low-to-mid 60s, and try to let it finish around 68 deg F to clean up diacetyl. I've read about people stirring it up yeast off the cake if they underpitched, but you could take a gravity reading to decide if it's done.

I fermented at 66 F. I'm going to assume it's still going, just without much visual activity. If everything stays the same, I'll probably pull a sample to test the gravity on Thursday night. If it is already done, this is an AMAZINGLY vigorous strain!

Latest posts

Back