WLP001 dead yeast ? No fermentation after 72 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
I want to make sure I put as much info in this as I can in order to give you guys what you might need to analyze what may have happened here. Lengthy, but necessary I feel. I brewed an IPA recipe on Tues. Prior to this I made a 3000 ml starter using light DME with a gravity of 1.046 on Friday. I pitched 2 vials of White Labs , best by was in October, into this after chilling etc. This was placed on the stir plate with three drops of Fermcap S to prevent any possible blow off action. It spun for 26 hours and was then chilled in the fridge until the morning, Tues, of brew day where it was taken out to come to room temp @ 70. There was no sign of krausen, but I chalked that up to the stir plate and Fermcap as I had a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
LAyer of yeast at the bottom of the flask. Brew day went well. Reached proper numbers, OG 1.064, and volume, 5.5 gal post boil. Chilled down to 66 deg and transferred to the carboy. I then oxygenated with pure O2 and a two micron stone. Usually I do this for about a minute, however attempting to multitask I started cleaning out the kettle and ended up running 2:15 of pure O2 in the wort. After decanting and pitching the yeast she went into the ferm chamber at 68. After 72 hours..........NOTHING. No sign of fermentation. Refractometer still read the original gravity. I went to LHBS today and got two vials of WLP001 and repitched. After one hours she's already getting going.

My questions are these: Did I inadvertently over oxygenate?
The yeast was shipped from NB, no fault of there's, could the heat have just killed everything?
Did I screw up something in the starter?
Will this 72 hour lag screw anything up?

This is my first planned competition brew and I admittedly have been sweating it the last day or so as this never happened before. And I could not find my copy of JZ's Yeast book for any reference.

Almost forgot, any chance of off flavors from the old yeast first pitched?

Nah, they will just be food for the next yeast. You know I've noticed quite a few posts in this extreme heat about yeast not starting. I think it's certainly possible that they didn't survive the shipment very well. You seem to have done everything by the book, probably the yeast you saw was the the original yeast spread out on the bottom. I wouldn't worry about over-oxygenating or off flavors.

Back