WLP001 California Yeast got me to 10.0% ABV!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryaneirich

Reaction score
I just kegged my single hop IPA last night, and got 9.96% (1.096 OG, 1.020 FG). I was shooting for 8% by adjusting my grain bill based off the results of a previous batch, but had forgotten about some inefficiencies in that batch, so I overshot by 2 points!

The fermentation started out very normal; vigorous for several days, but then continued for a total of 19 days, going very steadily most of that time (a big bubble out of my 1" vent line about every 10-30 seconds). I normally finish fermentation after 10 days with nearly all of my batches. I was able to hold it rock steady at 68ºF the whole time, so I was at the bottom of the recommended fermentation temperature.

I know that this strain is known for high alcohol tolerance, but this really surprised me!

Congratulations! Ill have to try that one. Did you do anything special to get good attenuation? (Like swirl the carboy after a couple of days or add late sugar in primary, or pure o2)

I just made a Pliny the Younger inspired beer with San Diego Super yeast and was happy with the attenuation of that yeast as well. Started at 1.096 and so far it's at 1.014 after 6 days in primary (for a current ABV of 10.76)

My normal procedure is to put my big funnel into the carboy, then put a fine stainless mesh strainer (typical kitchen type) into the funnel. I pitch the yeast first, then I start dumping the wort in, and I feel as though this process aerates very well. It aerates via passing through the strainer, but even going into the fermenter it's doing a lot too. By the end of pouring the ~5 gallons, I'm always pushing foam out past the sides of the funnel. Primary fermentation kicks in by the next morning almost without fail.

Back