WLP-029 Kolsch Flocculance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djevans3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a kolsch in primary for a couple of weeks and was getting ready to transfer when I noticed the yeast cake has a very unique look. The way it flocculated was very different to the dozens of other strains that I had used before. The way it kind of chunks up looks a little odd and there are a couple of those chunks floating. Can those of you whom have used it before provide some insight on if this is normal for this strain? I fermented at 65 and it was fairly standard if not quick fermentation.

WP_20140509_004.jpg

Cool thank guys. I've never had an infection and this didn't look like one, but it still was different enough to raise the question if I had a mutated strain. Time to keg and condition :mug:

Many brewers confuse flocculation with sedimentation. What you are seeing in that fermentation is good example of flocculation, that is, the tendency for yeast cells to clump together. That type of behavior is not that uncommon with flocculent non-top-cropping yeast strains.

This is a bit off topic...but what should I be expecting for a krausen height on a 5 gal batch with this? Im in a stainless fermenter so I can't see and wondering if I should rig up a blow off...only issue is I don't think I have the tubing I need or else I'd just do it

This is a bit off topic...but what should I be expecting for a krausen height on a 5 gal batch with this? Im in a stainless fermenter so I can't see and wondering if I should rig up a blow off...only issue is I don't think I have the tubing I need or else I'd just do it

I just cold crashed a batch with this yeast. A five gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket had the krausen touch the lid of the bucket but didn't blow out.

Latest posts

Back