WLP 028, 5 days in mail...is it alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Yup :ban:

0820111903.jpg

This is 40 MINUTES after stepping up the starter!

After sitting stationary on a truck for 2 of the five days of its transit, it is going nuts.

I ordered a scottish wee heave kit from brewmasters warehouse via their weekly special thread. Was worried about the yeast so two days ago I made a .5 L (1.025) starter, then added another .5L (1.030) yesterday, and forty minutes ago I added another ~1 L of 1.040 wort to take it home.

I have noticed this yeast is VERY chunky...anyone else notice it with this strain?

Hooray!

You know, when I received my first vials of yeast for my virgin brew, they had spent many days in transit and had also sat on my porch @ 98 F. I texted my buddy who's very experienced (Won the big VA state competition 2 years in a row) reminded me that some of the yeast dying isn't actually a bad thing.

See, dead yeast serve as nutrients to the living yeast, which gives them enough resources to replenish their numbers. It's better to have 80% viable yeast and 20% dead than 100% weak yeast.

English yeast strains are big floccers, too. You'll see a lot of chunky floaties in your primary
!

Latest posts

Back