WLP 008 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
I bought WLP 008 (east coast ale) thinking I could use it for an American pale ale that has some honey malt in it.

When I got home I read the specs online - sour/tart flavors? really?

I have read as many threads as possible on the yeast. There is very little information out there on it. Has anyone used this yeast and what style did you brew with it?

I'd hate to throw it out as it is perfectly fine.

TIA

I used it in a Sam's Summer clone. I think the sweet/tart flavor thing might be a little over rated. I didn't notice anything particularly weird about the yeast's taste.

I used it in a Sam's Summer clone. I think the sweet/tart flavor thing might be a little over rated. I didn't notice anything particularly weird about the yeast's taste.

What have you brewed with it, and how did it turn out? What type of hop would compliment it?

For the summer brew I used Tettnang and Hallertauer.

Grain bill:

50% 2-row
35% Wheat Malt
10% Flaked Wheat
5% Cara-pils

1 oz (per 5 gallons batch) of lemon zest at 15 minutes.

Comes out to be a quite refreshing brew for the summer months. Made it for a couple of years now and is a crowd pleasure out on the deck.

This summer I used SA-05 instead of the 008. Beer didn't have as much "character". But I think part of that is the extra attenuation I got from the 05.

I brewed up a couple of attempts at Sam Adams Boston Ale clones. Though I was never happy with the clones as clones, they were both good beers and I did not detect any tartness in the final product. My hop additions were off and the clone had a little too much "earthy" flavor. I have washed and reused the yeast and will probably use it again. Good luck!

If you check out the latest Zymurgy magazine the Pumpkin Ale recipe uses WLP008. I just bought the yeast yesterday and have a starter going now. The LHBS do not sell this yeast often, so they only get one vial at a time. Just so happens that it has been setting for a while, and the best before date is 20 Jun 13. I am hoping that the stepping up of a starter will get me the right amount of yeast cell necessary to brew the Pumpkin Ale for the woman today.

If you check out the latest Zymurgy magazine the Pumpkin Ale recipe uses WLP008. I just bought the yeast yesterday and have a starter going now. The LHBS do not sell this yeast often, so they only get one vial at a time. Just so happens that it has been setting for a while, and the best before date is 20 Jun 13. I am hoping that the stepping up of a starter will get me the right amount of yeast cell necessary to brew the Pumpkin Ale for the woman today.

I just bottled the brew that I used wlp008 in. It attenuated much more than Beersmith's estimates.I had an OG of 1.053 with a Beersmith estimated FG of 1.12. The actual FG was 1.006. I mashed at 153*F, perhaps that's why it went so low, but I'm still surprised.

Good luck with your brew, and thanks for the Zymurgy tip!

Latest posts

Back