WLP 002 English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
Had a pretty interesting experience with this yeast recently and thought i'd share.

I brewed up a big ol' black IPA last week using this yeast and pitched my 2 L starter once the boil was over. I come back not even 2 days later to brew up another batch to find that the krausen has fallen and looks as tho fermentation has stopped. Thinking my yeast just **** out on my I bumped the temp up a few degrees in hopes to kickstart them beasties back into suspension.

Forward 6 hours>brew day complete>decide to check the gravity of the IPA. This is what I definitely didn't expect. OG was 1.084 and it is down to 1.020!!! in ~20 hours into fermentation!!! Terminal gravity for this beer is 1.018 so she's basically done. I didn't do anything crazy with this, fermented at 68 using ambient air temp and used my 2 L starter (which I thought was actually a little short on cell count). ANyone else have this experience? I know this yeast is highly flocculant but sheeeesh!

This strain and 007 are freakishly fast. 2 days seems a bit extreme but I'm not too surprised, especially since your ambient temp was 68F. I'd be on the lookout for diacetyl. 002 without controlled temps at the end will floc out before cleaning up diacetyl. If you were only controlling ambient temp then it's likely that your yeast dropped out way too early when temps dropped after the active phase of fermentation. Again, 002 is notorious for this so you need to be able to ramp your temp up after the first day or 2 or you could have diacetyl problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

so i'm planning on kegging in the next couple of days. would it be wise to up my temp a couple degrees to try and remove that diacetyl or is it too late now?

If the yeast have already flocculated then you are pretty much stuck. I'm not so sure that they will clean up with a temperature rise if they have gone to sleep, even if you rouse them. Give it a taste before you worry.

to update, it tasted verrrry good going to bottle. I've never finished a full hydrometer sample except for this time around, even wanted to go back for more!! good sign i'm thinking...

brewed a stout up the other day as well and THAT even finished in 3 days also!!! used wyeast 1968 and fermented at 68. absolutely killing these fermentations for whatever reason. brewing up a barleywine today as to jump on this hot streak and put it to good use.

They are fassst!

Wyeast 1968 and WLP002 are essentially the same strain. Same for Wyeast 1098 and WLP007. Here's a good chart of yeast cross references and there origins.

I used 1968 in my Black Butte Porter Clone using a swamp cooler. It finished in 3 days from 1.060 down to 1.016, at 66°F. I used a big active starter, took off within hours. I'm letting it condition for a week at 74°F, then keg it. Sample tasted great. Next time I'll ferment cooler.

Oh, forgot to say. I hope you harvest your yeasts. They're good for many batches.

i've actually been stepping my yeast up right outta the package instead of washing it after a ferment. seems easier for me and i get 3 or 4 beers outta one smack pack/vial.

thanks for the link. interesting the 2 strains are similar like that, here i thought i was killing it and doing something extra special! somewhat reassuring still however.

Back