WL 300: Your favorite Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaplesVin

Reaction score
Doing a Hefeweizen with White Labs 300 Yeast. Pitched the Yeast @ 70 F and it's sitting at 60-63 F in the fermentor on the 2nd day. Whats your favorite temperature to pitch with WL300 and why?

I got really good results letting mine run from 54F to 64F over 6 days. Nice and balanced, not heavy on either the cloves or banana and no bubblegum.

I put mine in a water bath and go cool the first few days around 60-62, at least until activity "calms" so I'm not overflowing krausen from the blow off tube lol the. I'll ramp to 70ish for another week, this gave me intense bubble gum smells during fermentation but the beer was very banana and not so much clove and some fruity. Keeping the high temp helped the sulfur escape too.

I just used WL300 in my watermelon hefe Sunday. Pitched @ 64.4F. Morebeer's page said for the fermenter to have 30% headspace for this one in a hefe. Explosive fermentations have been mentioned. But filling to 19L (5.016 USG)in my Cooper's Micro Brew FV,that left the required 1/3 headspace. Used a three piece airlock & no blow outs. Bubbling slowing down pretty good as of now. But it was firing long bursts like a machine pistol the last two days. It got up to 75.2F at one point though. I was hoping for some tasty esters to go with the watermelon on the back with this experiment. We'll see...:ban:

For me it's 63 degrees....in the temp controlled freezer. I used to like fermenting at warmer temps...but you really have to be careful with wlp 300. It can get out of hand quickly:eek:, and spike the temps. which is not just a matter of extra banana flavor:cross:.

Yeah, we'll see with some 3-7 days after FG is reached & some bottle conditioning. I was just curious as to what i'd get ester-wise. I didn't even get the peppery flavor in my saison with WY3711 either. Just a light barnyardy flavor. My other wheat ales usually come out clean tasting as well. So I let it go this time...

I pitched this yeast without a starter into my 5 gallon hefeweizen and within 24hrs it took off and am still getting big bubbles in the airlock every 1-2 seconds!

It took some 13 hours or so to visibly start fermenting my hefe. but steady long burst of bubbles like a machine pistol! Almost done with initial fermentation as of now...

It took some 13 hours or so to visibly start fermenting my hefe. but steady long burst of bubbles like a machine pistol! Almost done with initial fermentation as of now...

It's been a week for me and so far I still have bubbles in the airlock every 5-10 seconds @ 61 F. Those bubbles are just chugging along lol.

I only used this yeast once. I pitched a 1L starter and fermented around 70 degrees.

This yeast is a beast. Probably the most vigorous fermentation I ever had.

Not sure that a starter was even needed.

I go at 62oF because I'm not a huge fan of the banana.

I start it at 63 BECAUSE I am a big fan of banana. I get too much bubblegum at higher temps. I ram as usual after about 4 days, eventually ending up at room temp.

Back