Wire Connectors or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished up my 30A Kal clone panel build. I used crimp on connectors for my connections to the contactors. I have read a few threads recommending that maybe that is not the best way. Should I remove them and just attach the wires via the screw terminal?

I am using these contactors.
contactor.png

I wouldn't go to the trouble of changing what you already have. If they become a problem remove them.

They can be a point of failure, and really aren't necessary in most cases. They will probably be ok. You just have to make sure you are using the correct crimping tool for the type connector you are using.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of changing what you already have. If they become a problem remove them.

They can be a point of failure, and really aren't necessary in most cases. They will probably be ok. You just have to make sure you are using the correct crimping tool for the type connector you are using.

I used a standard set of wire crimpers/cutters that had a crimper for insulated terminals. I did not use the tool that is for sale on the electric brewery website.

Is it advisable to use some needle nose to slightly pinch the connections to ensure they are tightly connected to the terminals on the contacors?

This is what i used to crimp all the connections

crimp_tool.jpg

If you're worried about the crimp connectors coming lose you can also solder them after they are crimped for peace of mind. I did that for all the high current connectors in my panel just as insurance.

I would recommend removing them and using the big screw terminal right above. Once you loosen up the screw terminal the spade connection thing comes off pretty easily.

I used a standard set of wire crimpers/cutters that had a crimper for insulated terminals. I did not use the tool that is for sale on the electric brewery website.

Is it advisable to use some needle nose to slightly pinch the connections to ensure they are tightly connected to the terminals on the contacors?

This is what i used to crimp all the connections

crimp_tool.jpg

That crimping tool is probably ok for the terminals you used. If you're lucky the terminal manufacturer recommended one.

I would recommend removing them and using the big screw terminal right above. Once you loosen up the screw terminal the spade connection thing comes off pretty easily.

That was my first thought when i started the build, but I went with the spade connectors because i thought it would give a better connection than the screw terminal. With the stranded wires I didn't think i would get 100% contact with all of the strands. Am I just over thinking it? The screw terminal has a slight taper to the end of it on these contactors.

That crimping tool is probably ok for the terminals you used. If you're lucky the terminal manufacturer recommended one.

I did make sure the wires were tight and not able to "wiggle" in the connector after i crimped them on.

I had a crimped spade terminal burn up in my panel. I wouldn't use them if you have a choice. And yes, I did use the proper crimping tool. I don't recall what the root cause, but it was either a poor job of crimping or the screw had loosened over the terminal. Either way, the high-impedance of the loose connection created some black stuff :(

That was my first thought when i started the build, but I went with the spade connectors because i thought it would give a better connection than the screw terminal. With the stranded wires I didn't think i would get 100% contact with all of the strands. Am I just over thinking it? The screw terminal has a slight taper to the end of it on these contactors.

Currently, you're going from stranded copper wire through a female spade terminal through a male spade terminal to the screw terminal.

If you remove the spade terminals you'll be going from the copper wire to the screw terminal.

Yeah, you'd have a better connection if you removed the spade terminals.

The spade terminals would be handy if you needed the electricity to come from or go to more than one circuit, but for your control panel I'm pretty sure you don't need that.

If you're worried about the crimp connectors coming lose you can also solder them after they are crimped for peace of mind. I did that for all the high current connectors in my panel just as insurance.

You soldered the connectors to the wires or the connectors to the components?

I understood soldering crimps to wire is a big no-no.

Also OP, I got my self a pair of ratcheting crimpers, its' crimps instill confidence. Worth the money IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just crimped a ton of connections for a panel build. I started with a simple crimper like shown in this thread but realized it was inadequate for reliably crimping to the pressure needed for high-current connections. At least in my opinion. Wound up using a ratcheting type like this..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069TRKJ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...and it worked great. It releases once the needed level of crimping is achieved. I am confident that these connections are secure and will not overheat.

Well this is really the only project I would use the ratcheting crimpers for. I think I will remove the connectors and just use the screw terminal for the 30 amp connections.

I just crimped a ton of connections for a panel build. I started with a simple crimper like shown in this thread but realized it was inadequate for reliably crimping to the pressure needed for high-current connections. At least in my opinion. Wound up using a ratcheting type like this..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069TRKJ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...and it worked great. It releases once the needed level of crimping is achieved. I am confident that these connections are secure and will not overheat.

Good work. I need a pair of those before I rebuild.

You soldered the connectors to the wires or the connectors to the components?

I understood soldering crimps to wire is a big no-no.

Also OP, I got my self a pair of ratcheting crimpers, its' crimps instill confidence. Worth the money IMHO.

I soldered crimp connectors to wire after hitting them with flux and crimping them. Why is this not acceptable? I feel pretty confident it can only improve the connection, but am open to correction. I built my panel this winter, won't brew on it for at least another week and definitely don't want to see anything go up in smoke

I soldered crimp connectors to wire after hitting them with flux and crimping them. Why is this not acceptable? I feel pretty confident it can only improve the connection, but am open to correction. I built my panel this winter, won't brew on it for at least another week and definitely don't want to see anything go up in smoke

Something about the solder gets wicked up into the stranded wire and stiffening the wire, causing mechanical instability. I'm just repeating what a pro friend told me. Maybe someone else can chime in and either correct me or elaborate.

Back