Winter Warmer Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
My winter warmer recipe idea. Not looking for spiced beer. But I want the spiciness from the hops and malt. Will also be re-pitching some Northwest Ale yeast.

7 Gallon Recipe

9 lbs LME
1.25 lbs 2 row
1 lb brown sugar
.75 lb 60L
.25 lb 20L
.25 lb roasted barley
.25 lb Munich
.25 lb chocolate
.5 lb flaked oats

(chinook, columbus, glena) High alpha 11-15% @ 60 MIN
(spicy hop like saaz, styrine goldings, sterling) 4-7% @ 15 Min
(spicy hop like saaz, styrine goldings, sterling ) 4-7% @ Dry hoped

I would adjust to get around 30 IBUS.

Any thoughts, Tweeks or other comments?

In Beersmith, it comes in perfectly under the Christmas/Winter category as a PM recipe. I did 1 oz. for each hop, and just chose the first you had listed for each. It was 24 IBUs.

What was your inspiration for it? I might have to try it too..

I'm at the point in my brewing that I can think about brewing things that will be ready a few months out so since it's starting to hit fall here in Oregon I figured I needed to start thinking about a winter warmer.

I wanted to make something along the lines of Fullsail's wassail. They don't list there ingredients but duschutes does, so I looked at the deschutes jubelale and then I looked at several other recipes took what I liked and what I know how to work. As with every brew I come up with I like to put my spin on it, so, instead of the traditional earthy hops, I figured throw in the more spicy ones since I'm not using any spices.

I don't get Deschutes out here (though I've had BBP), but I do see Full Sail at my store, so I'll have to check it out.

the wassail is probably my favorite of the style. If you can try it you should. I got it last year when we were having butternut squash and smoky sausage soup. It went very well with this.

So I went ahead and brewed this up with some minor changes.
The 1332 yeast is no joke. I used MR. malty to see what how much I needed to pitch. It suggested 1300ml and all I had was a 1 quart mason jar. So I pitched the whole thing. 48 hours after pitching my 7 gallon brew bucket had the lid pop off. I had to install a blow off tube. This was the first time I this happen. There is about three inches of head space when I fill to 7 gallons and absolutely all of it was filled up with the krausen.

Back