Winesap and Goldrushes for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
Our local orchard is done selling this weekend, got a few bushes of Winesap and Goldrushes. The Winesaps have an almost peach/apricot aromas while eating them. The Goldrush acids are already starting to drop a little. I think we are going to let these guys rest in the basement a while, maybe a Thanksgiving cider making project, by then they should have dropped acid levels a little and even loose a little water to our dry basement. Need to go out and see if we have any crabapples left to add just a bit of tannins to this future mix. WVM

Haven't tried Goldrush for cider, but If I had some I'd make a separate batch with just that variety and see how it comes out. Reviews say the apple has a nice tart/sweet balance. You could always blend it later with the Winesap cider or any other varieties you may have, if it doesn't come out the way you want.

We made some Goldrush last year, its a bit brisk acid, so this year we plan on "sweating" them in the basement for a lot longer to get the acid to drop, they have a thin skin and will also shrivel up some concentrating the sugars we hope. We have not done a Winesap cider yet, they have oily skin and so should keep well. We need to build a root cellar to keep apples in one day. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back