Wine refrigerator in garage freezing temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
It gets to above 30 degrees Celsius in the summer here and minus 30 in the winter. Those fluctuations are too much for wine storage and I was hoping to get into making ice wines and apple wines.
If I have a mini fridge stored in the garage or shed (no heating) will they struggle to keep contents constant in the winter say at 55F? ... With modified thermostat

I assume that even though they are sealed, it's not a perfect seal. Can I add some kind of low wattage light bulb inside to make sure it stays above freezing but the compressor comes on.

Ink-Bird.com.... thermostat...combined with the fridge and small heater...you set it and control the temp within a couple of degrees, cooling in summer, heating in winter

I can't heat the garage though. Is this a small heater that goes inside the fridge?

Ink-Bird.com.... thermostat...combined with the fridge and small heater...you set it and control the temp within a couple of degrees, cooling in summer, heating in winter

Will a 25W bulb at the bottom of the fridge be sufficient for heating?

Do you have to drill a hole in the fridge for the new thermostat?

Will a 25W bulb at the bottom of the fridge be sufficient for heating?

Do you have to drill a hole in the fridge for the new thermostat?

I didn't drill a hole...the thermostat has a temp probe on a long thin wire....you will also have a power wire going to your heater/light bulb.

Some folks have used a paint can and put the light bulb inside...paint can heater...you can buy a paint can at the hardware store. Light bulb heats up the can, the can heats up the wine fridge and contains the light which may have some effect on your wine. I have one of those small little cube heaters.

it's all very simple, pretty much plug and play...the fridge and heater both plug into the thermostat....the temp probe monitors the temp and turns on/off as required. You may need to play with your compressor delay times and temp differencals...find the sweet spot...you don't want the cooler on and then the heater warming things back up so the unit runs all the time. I used a chest type deep freeze and it rarely comes on once the set temp is reached.

I didn't drill a hole...the thermostat has a temp probe on a long thin wire....you will also have a power wire going to your heater/light bulb.

Some folks have used a paint can and put the light bulb inside...paint can heater...you can buy a paint can at the hardware store. Light bulb heats up the can, the can heats up the wine fridge and contains the light which may have some effect on your wine. I have one of those small little cube heaters.

it's all very simple, pretty much plug and play...the fridge and heater both plug into the thermostat....the temp probe monitors the temp and turns on/off as required. You may need to play with your compressor delay times and temp differencals...find the sweet spot...you don't want the cooler on and then the heater warming things back up so the unit runs all the time. I used a chest type deep freeze and it rarely comes on once the set temp is reached.

At least 1 wire has to come out of the inside of fridge... or looks that way?

If controller is outside then the light on the inside needs to have a wire coming out.
If controller is on inside then it needs to have its main wire coming out from the fridge to be plugged in.
And the temp probe - if the wire is thin do you just close the door seal on top of it?

Confused.

You can always drill through the door, and reseal with caulk. The wire is about 1/4" or about 5mm, you would also need a hole and wire for the heating element. Some people have found heating bulbs that emit no light, I've even seen hair dryers used. Just be smart about whatever way you go, you are adding a heat source to a plastic box after all.

You can always drill through the door, and reseal with caulk. The wire is about 1/4" or about 5mm, you would also need a hole and wire for the heating element. Some people have found heating bulbs that emit no light, I've even seen hair dryers used. Just be smart about whatever way you go, you are adding a heat source to a plastic box after all.

I've heard reptile heating elements are good as well.

At least 1 wire has to come out of the inside of fridge... or looks that way?

If controller is outside then the light on the inside needs to have a wire coming out.
If controller is on inside then it needs to have its main wire coming out from the fridge to be plugged in.
And the temp probe - if the wire is thin do you just close the door seal on top of it?

Confused.

I simply close the door on the wires and it seems to seal up just fine...just a very small crack. I keep the thermostat mounted on the wall beside the freezer...outside the freezer

Latest posts

Back