Wine Equivalent of US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstAidBrewing

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am foraying into sake and am wondering what the wine equivalent of beer's US-05 would be.

When brewing beer, US-05 is know to be very clean and flocculent, letting the hops and malt shine while not clouding the product too much.

I know that there are specific sake strains of wine yeast, but if I decide to play around, I was curious as to is there is a wine yeast that is particularly known for a clean ferment. Or does it not work that way in Mondo Vino?

Thanks All

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using wyeast 1388 (Belgian strong ale) with the BOMM protocol for all my mead and fruit wines. I’m very new to this, but so far I’m really liking the results. Compared to the three wine yeasts I’ve tried, is has been very clean and neutral. With the exception of my watermelon wine, everything else’s has been good to drink once it’s cleared.

My go to is D47.....makes a clean, delish vino (or cider) every time 4 moi. Low nutrient reqs.....decent cold crash ability.

Cheers [emoji111]

Try Red Star Cote des Blancs Wine Yeast.
Matter of pref, I use 05 for all my beer. 35 batches in the last year and a half

wine equivalent of beer's US-05 would be.
I would say EC-1118 (or Red Star Premier Cuvee). It's a well-behaved workhorse strain that can be used for any wine and has a neutral profile across a very broad range of temperatures. It's the strain included with a lot of wine kits.

Latest posts

Back