Wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a wine bottle to bottle beer? If so, how did you cap it? Can you use a cork? I am desperately looking for bottles for my second batch and just about this option. Not sure that it is feasible. Thoughts?

Bad idea, they will ALL explode. Wine bottles cannot hold carbonation. The exception to this is champagne bottles.
You can leave the beer in the fermenter for a week or two more while you go looking for more bottles, you could also go to your LHBS and buy some, regular bottles are fairly inexpensive.

There is a long thread in the classified section about free bottle giveaways - prob worth checking to see what is avail in your area.

I assume you've already asked local friends to save all non twist offs for you?

You can also try hitting up a local bar, i'm sure they would be happy to help you out with empties esp if you returned a few filled to them as a thank you

In a pinch, soda (or preferably seltzer) bottles will do the job. Just make sure whatever you use previously held a carbonated beverage. And please don't use a growler.

Back