Windsor Ale Yeast, odd fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I pitched a rehydrated packet of Windsor Ale yeast into a 1.059 British Bitter wort on 3/28. Fermentation started rather quickly. The ferm temp had risen higher than expected overnight and I dropped it down the next morning to about 68. Fermentation slowed considerably and the Krausen didn't rise very high, not even a half inch. Most of the sediment dropped to the bottom of the fermenter over the past two weeks but it never cleared. It looks as though there is still a ton of yeast in suspension. It's been sitting at about 70.

I checked in on it last night and it looks like the thing has kicked back off. The fermometer shows 72. There are a ton of tiny bubbles on top and the airlock is bubbling away.

So here it is almost 3 weeks since starting fermentation and it's firing back up. Any ideas as to why? Would the two degree difference cause fermentation to kick back off? Recommended high for this yeast is 70. In my years of brewing, I've never seen this type of fermentation. I've never used this yeast either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are several threads on this subject (i.e., biphasic nature of Windsor fermentation). You're far from alone. I've written the company myself with possible explanations but never got a good one from them. The threads cover some ideas for the restart by posters.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

I found where you had a similar lull in activity, though mine appears to have been a bit longer at roughly 14 days from no activity to restarting of fermentation.

I read that someone also suggested a change in barometric pressure. This piqued my interest, as a strange front moved in last night and is now moving through our area bringing thunderstorms followed by unseasonably cooler weather. The high today is slated to be around 74 but dropping to 39 tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back