Windows 11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... Those distros never change their Desktop Environments... :rolleyes: Guess your a KDE person?
You could say that. I haven't used any in several years though. I mostly use a laptop and for some reason the dual boot isn't as friendly.

I try to embrace the new interfaces as I don't want to be that guy yelling at clouds every time something changes. That included the Start Screen and Gnome 3, neither of which I prefer. I'm using the dock-styled start bar on Win 11 right now to see if I can get used to it. Never liked it on OSX either, so chances are slim.

Sure, changes to the GUI matter, but I use a computer for the application software, so I try not to fret overly about how the GUI looks. Fooling around with wallpaper, icons, whatnot can be amusing (or frustrating) but its really about the apps.

When MS effectively replaced the menu bar with the ribbon, that was a meaningful (meaningfully painful) app UI change!

I'll be chased off of W10P by lack of security updates when that happens.

Two roads I could follow: there are hacks that allow upgrades to W11P while not conforming to the TPMS * SecureBoot * Whatever Other Stuff On Their List; or build a new machine. I'm inclined to go the latter route, just need to get around to the build. What has been holding me back for some time is the chaos in the graphics card marketplace.

Meanwhile I keep seeing stuff about W11 being a basket case fraught with potential irrecoverable loss of OS integrity...

Cheers!

Some while back, a year or more, I used the workarounds to put W11 on a few older i5-4xxx Dell Optiplex SFF boxes (my favorite "dime a dozen" general duty PC) that don't meet one or more of the requirements. All have been and still are working fine; at least as good as before, maybe even better.

Last edited:
updates to some things I mentioned back in 2021

For most of my "at home" calculation / digital communication needs, a hypothetical next generation Raspberry PI may be the "sweet spot".
Pi 5 has been released, so it's almost time to look at it (and the alternatives). With winter approaching, it's time to put a light weight Linux distro on an older laptop.

As of today, Windows 10 gets update for roughly 4 [at that time] more years (support ends mid-Oct 2025 ). Plenty of time to investigate alternatives. So, for me, at home, no reason to buy new hardware for the next two or three years.
"Retirement date" is still Oct 2025. 100s of days left to procrastinate investigating alternatives for my next primary computer.

100s of days left
My Windows 10 laptop only serves as a home theater PC. I expect I'll install Ubuntu on it when Win10 “dies." The increase in MS overreach makes me eager to finally say goodbye to Windows.

In contrast, I'm not feeling ready to replace Android with a Linux phone, and must therefore accept some Google in my life even though I avoid their apps (browsing, messages, search).

As if these efforts really protects me from the surveillance government-industrial complex <sigh>.

Happy Computing!

BeOS. That one had promise.

Been using Win11 for a while now. No problems with it. Biggest issue will be (or is) privacy...

Now let's get some native 128/256 bit data types. Not sure of base register sizes on Intel/AMD architecture anymore.. al, ax, eax, rax, etc...

My Windows 10 laptop only serves as a home theater PC. I expect I'll install Ubuntu on it when Win10 “dies." The increase in MS overreach makes me eager to finally say goodbye to Windows.

In contrast, I'm not feeling ready to replace Android with a Linux phone, and must therefore accept some Google in my life even though I avoid their apps (browsing, messages, search).

As if these efforts really protects me from the surveillance government-industrial complex <sigh>.

Happy Computing!

Oof, you paranoid guys are pretty funny. As if you could avoid it haha.

My Windows 10 laptop only serves as a home theater PC. I expect I'll install Ubuntu on it when Win10 “dies."
Most of what I currently do with my laptop (Windows 10) could be done with WiFi disabled. The other activities require a web browser.

For me, in the 2021 - 2025(?) time frame, the interesting things in computer related technology are either tiny SOC devices or ARM/GPU systems.

SOC devices or ARM/GPU systems
... and maybe you can run Win 11 on ARM
There are a handful of non-Intel hardware architectures that Windows used to run on.

Windows 10/11 on ARM may have "staying power" - perhaps because ARM appears to have "staying power" with or without Windows 10/11/next.

But for me, the idea of Windows on ARM probably will not be on my "let's take a look at it" list over the next 2-4 years.

Windows on ARM probably will not be on my "let's take a look at it" list
For fun, I looked at Dell and learned I could buy a Qualcomm Snapdragon-powered Win11 Inspiron 14 (fanless, 3.18 lbs., 1920x1080, 8MB) for $300 today. I don't want it, though it could make a fine machine if Ubuntu runs on it 😉

Back