Will this work for a Belgian Wit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnskiinvt

Reaction score
I'm trying to piece together an extract recipe (haven't ventured into all grain yet) that I can call my "own", but I'm coming up with a lot of questions...

1. For LME, should I stick with wheat for the whole batch, or maybe use half pilsner? Good/bad idea?

2. I read where unmalted wheat grain is the way to go for a Wit, does it HAVE to be mashed, or can it be steeped? Also read where flaked oats and pilsner malt are appropriate for this beer. Okay to steep? Would I use them all??

3. I don't plan on using a secondary...how long would I let this sit in primary?

I guess I'm just cofused on the grain portion. I plan on using 1lb. each of Pilsen DME and extra light DME. 1 oz. each Saaz and Hallertau. WL400 for yeast. 1 oz. each bitter orange, sweet orange and coriander.

Am I on the right track?? please help:confused: Any and all help is appreciated! thanks

i'd suggest brewing by recipes till you get the feel for it. we've all made the mistake of "creating our own recipes" early on. mine was a combination brown ale/stout :eek:

#1 Wheat Liquid extract comes in 2 varieties, 100% wheat and a mix, I think its usually 60/40 wheat/pilsen. If you get the mix, you can just use that.
#2 I don't know. Sorry. The Allagash white extract clone from the brewer himself is just extract though, no specialty grains.
#3 Don't worry about secondary. Definitely not needed on a wit. 3 weeks in primary should be plenty of time.

Wlp 400 sounds good but I don't know about the spices and how they'll come out in the final product. Maybe someone with a little more experience can weigh in. The hops look good too.
, just check a calculator to get the ibus you're looking for.

Back